New AquaClear w/bypass and air bubble

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

plecoperson

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just set up a new AquaClear 70; there's an air bubble in the u-tube and some water is flowing around the intake. I've tried to dislodge the bubble to no avail. I assume these two things are related.

I wonder if I have too much media or it's too tightly packed; I have (top to bottom): Foam block, carbon, filter floss wrapped around crushed coral. It's a snail tank, thus the coral, and there was some question of there being a contaminant in the tank, thus the carbon.

Will the bubble work itself out, or any idears what to do to eliminate it? I'd usually just let it run and see what happened, but I'm leaving overnight in a few hours....

when I first set up my AC 70 I had the same issues. The air bubble went away. I just went and checked mine and its not longer flowing around the intake. Sometimes after I do a PWC and clean the AC it will do that also. You should be fine.

Not directly related, but I would move the foam block to the bottom most position - it's purpose is large particle filtering. That will make your floss last longer, since it will only be getting the finer particles.

src said:
Not directly related, but I would move the foam block to the bottom most position - it's purpose is large particle filtering. That will make your floss last longer, since it will only be getting the finer particles.

I agree to move the foam block to the bottom then your filter then your bio rings/carbon etc.. and last your floss to polish the water.

Thank you for your help-the bubble did remove itself, but still getting some bypass.

Also, I am a moron; the order of the media is reversed from what I stated: foam is on bottom, then carbon on that, then floss/coral on the top.

I usually rock the flow adjustment back and forth slowly to clear out any bubbles from the u-tube. I'm not sure what you mean by getting bypass, though. Can you explain it a little more?

Back
Top Bottom