New Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Social_d87

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just got the Fluval 305 Canister Filter for my saltwater tank anyone have this filter? The reviews on the internet say thats this filter is really good but i want to get someones opinion on this site. Thanks

I personally like the idea of no filter and using the Berlin method. Just a bunch of live rock and good water flow if you have that there is no need for a mechanical filter at all. With the money you spend on a canister filter you could buy enough live rock to maintain the biological filtration fully. Although the canister filter is good for flow and a nice spot for chemical media. This can also be accomplished in other ways. Just a little food for thought>

Ohhh... well i got it really cheep and brand new so i was like what the heck it wouldn't hurt you know. Im going to upgrade my 29g to maybe a 55 thats why i got the filter because im going to have a good amount of fish and coral in the new 55 and i thought the canister would help with that. Also would i run the filter while i cycle the tank or just use my powerheads and bio wheel?

I have a 46g with 80# live rock 2 hydor Koralia 2's and the return from my sump(Mag 7) and thats it. I have a really small biowheel for running chemical media or seeding a quarantine tank. You could possibly use the 29g as a sump for the 55g. When cycling the tank you will need something for bacteria to develop on such as live rock etc... as the bacteria is on the surfaces and not in the water so much.

I have the 304 (last year's model) and the FX5 and love them both. I like to fill them up with LR rubble and run purigen in them.

So should i use the 305 on my tank im hearing mixed advice. Has your tank benefited from the 304? I would love to use it because like you i would like to have live rock rubble in one of the media slots. Also i dont know how the canister filter would be a nitrate factory if you clean it out and use the right media. thanks for your help

Since you have it, use it. Either clean it on a regular basis. or even better yet take out all the filters and basically use it for flow. Then when you need to filter for something specific add what you need , say carbon what ever, you have a filter that you can just drop the media in. Using the LR is also a great idea.

Since I haven't moved to the sump side of the house yet, I have 2 cans running with inline heaters on both. Usually there is nothing in them at all unless I need it for something. Then I pop it in, let it do it's job and take it back out. I have enough LR in the tank so I don't bother w/ LR in can(s)

I pulled out the foam in both of them, that keeps the nitrAtes down, along with regular cleaning.

I did want to add canisters are a personal preference. Some folks use skimmers, I don't.

Back
Top Bottom