New Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StyleUK

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi there, i've wanted a better filter for a while now, i'm not sure what to go for though, i've got quite a small tank, and i'm pretty sure it's overstocked, what filter would you recomend and where would I get it from? I live in the UK so sites that ship to the UK would be useful also.

Thanks!

If you want to stay with canister filters, try upgrading your rena filstar to the x2 or x3 model (just more room for more media). If you would like another canister filter brand, try fluval or eheim.

I have heard from lots of people that they really enjoy the hang-on-back filters that use a bio-wheel, as the extended contact time of the bacteria with oxygen allows for much more to grow, thus giving better biological filtration. They are also much easier to clean than canister filters.

I apologize that I am unsure what companies will ship overseas, but I'm pretty sure that Ehiem is a German brand. I don't know if you speak or read German, but the krauts make some pretty good equipment for fish care, so you might be able to find some German-based websites that will ship to you.

Liggs

Thanks i'll have a look.

I've looked at HOB filters but they all seem to go wrong and spill water everywhere and well just seem to be quite big and maybe wont fit on my tank.

Am I just looking at the bad reviews or are they really that bad? What are the other pros and cons of HOB and Canister filters?

Sorry for all the questions, but this is my first time doing anything with filters so bare with me :)

I've done some googling and have found a nice site thats quite cheap. I've only looked for Canister filters after looking at all the horrible HOB filter storys and what went wrong with them, and the fact that my tank is quite small.

Anyway I've found; http://www.petsolutions.com/Default.aspx?ItemID=20622139
or
http://www.petsolutions.com:80/product.asp_Q_pn_E_17100720_A_Rena+FilStar+xP1+Canister+Filter_E_

Both very good and at only £46GPB im guessing thats quite good.

Do you think this is a good idea? Is it worth it? And what one is the best?

If you've got any other ideas please still post im open to all solutions!

Back
Top Bottom