New filter - Fluval, Eheim, or Aquatop/Sunsun

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

will_ape

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm looking to upgrade to a canister for my 75g goldfish tank. I'm looking to only add 1 canister filter and don't want to add a hob + canister. Which brand is most durable and reliable? money isn't an issue here. I'd also be wanting to get a filter rated for 100+ gallons

I have a fluval 406. Its rated upto 400 litres, but i use it on a 200 litre. I would give it maybe 7/10. It works fine, there are a few drawbacks.

- I dont like the ribbed hoses. It prevents to installing things like inline heaters etc. And in my head a ribbed hose gets clogged easier.
- Its a pain in the *** to prime. Worked fine first time, but since then the priming lever doesnt do its job. Ive since found out this is a common problem with the 06 range, dont know if this persists with the the 07 range. There are work arounds, but it doesnt work as it should.
- I also think you should half the tank size for the 06 + 07s based on the rated size. I aim to get 1kg biological media/100litres of tank. With a 406 i can get 2kg with the top basket spare for chemical media. 3kg if you fill the top basket with biological media and forgo any chemical media. Based on this if you are going Fluval I would say go for the smaller FX but a 407 would just about work. Your aquarium falls between the largest 07 and smallest FX.

Plus side for Fluval.

- A little cheaper normally.
- Everyone stocks them and its easy to get spare parts.
- I think there is a broader knowledge base of Fluval products, so troubleshooting is simpler.

If I had to go again, I would do Eheim. Maybe the Eheim Experience 350. Cant comment on them, because I havent used one, but my aquatics mentor swears by Eheim. When my next annual maintenance on the 406 is due, I think I will change over.

I have a fluval 406. Its rated upto 400 litres, but i use it on a 200 litre. I would give it maybe 7/10. It works fine, there are a few drawbacks.

- I dont like the ribbed hoses. It prevents to installing things like inline heaters etc. And in my head a ribbed hose gets clogged easier.
- Its a pain in the *** to prime. Worked fine first time, but since then the priming lever doesnt do its job. Ive since found out this is a common problem with the 06 range, dont know if this persists with the the 07 range. There are work arounds, but it doesnt work as it should.
- I also think you should half the tank size for the 06 + 07s based on the rated size. I aim to get 1kg biological media/100litres of tank. With a 406 i can get 2kg with the top basket spare for chemical media. 3kg if you fill the top basket with biological media and forgo any chemical media. Based on this if you are going Fluval I would say go for the smaller FX but a 407 would just about work. Your aquarium falls between the largest 07 and smallest FX.

Plus side for Fluval.

- A little cheaper normally.
- Everyone stocks them and its easy to get spare parts.
- I think there is a broader knowledge base of Fluval products, so troubleshooting is simpler.

If I had to go again, I would do Eheim. Maybe the Eheim Experience 350. Cant comment on them, because I havent used one, but my aquatics mentor swears by Eheim. When my next annual maintenance on the 406 is due, I think I will change over.

That's what I was thinking about the fluval as well but i'm really gravitating towards the eheim at the moment but that could change. Any specific reasons your mentor swears by them?

I just purchased a Sunsun HW-3000 in April. I’ve been very happy with it.

I saw my LFS using the Sunsun and was interested in how they performed. What set up were you using before?

I think just from using them a lot, Eheim always seems to be his go to filter. He works in the aquatics trade, and has reviewed and used a lot of products. I would caution though, that as he works in the trade, possibly his opinion might be swayed to products his employer are pushing. Don't get me wrong, i think the Fluval 406 filter is a good filter, and i would recommend it, but I would try something different given a do over. Given your aquarium is 75g (300 litres) and you want something rated for 100g I dont think Fluval will achieve what you want unless you go for a FX which would be massively oversized. I understand Eheims tank size ratings are closer to what they actually do.

Have you seen Pond Gurus youtube channel? He does a lot of filter reviews. (He isnt my aquatics mentor BTW, but he does good filter reviews).
That's what I was thinking about the fluval as well but i'm really gravitating towards the eheim at the moment but that could change. Any specific reasons your mentor swears by them?

Back
Top Bottom