Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 05-28-2020, 01:55 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 4
New filter - Fluval, Eheim, or Aquatop/Sunsun

I'm looking to upgrade to a canister for my 75g goldfish tank. I'm looking to only add 1 canister filter and don't want to add a hob + canister. Which brand is most durable and reliable? money isn't an issue here. I'd also be wanting to get a filter rated for 100+ gallons
__________________

__________________
will_ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 04:35 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Aiken Drum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Derbyshire, UK
Posts: 406
I have a fluval 406. Its rated upto 400 litres, but i use it on a 200 litre. I would give it maybe 7/10. It works fine, there are a few drawbacks.

- I dont like the ribbed hoses. It prevents to installing things like inline heaters etc. And in my head a ribbed hose gets clogged easier.
- Its a pain in the *** to prime. Worked fine first time, but since then the priming lever doesnt do its job. Ive since found out this is a common problem with the 06 range, dont know if this persists with the the 07 range. There are work arounds, but it doesnt work as it should.
- I also think you should half the tank size for the 06 + 07s based on the rated size. I aim to get 1kg biological media/100litres of tank. With a 406 i can get 2kg with the top basket spare for chemical media. 3kg if you fill the top basket with biological media and forgo any chemical media. Based on this if you are going Fluval I would say go for the smaller FX but a 407 would just about work. Your aquarium falls between the largest 07 and smallest FX.

Plus side for Fluval.

- A little cheaper normally.
- Everyone stocks them and its easy to get spare parts.
- I think there is a broader knowledge base of Fluval products, so troubleshooting is simpler.

If I had to go again, I would do Eheim. Maybe the Eheim Experience 350. Cant comment on them, because I havent used one, but my aquatics mentor swears by Eheim. When my next annual maintenance on the 406 is due, I think I will change over.
__________________

__________________
Aiken Drum
Aiken Drum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 09:26 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
TMaier's Avatar

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Concord, CA
Posts: 4,554
I just purchased a Sunsun HW-3000 in April. Iíve been very happy with it.
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Old lady with tanks...
TMaier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 10:33 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiken Drum View Post
I have a fluval 406. Its rated upto 400 litres, but i use it on a 200 litre. I would give it maybe 7/10. It works fine, there are a few drawbacks.

- I dont like the ribbed hoses. It prevents to installing things like inline heaters etc. And in my head a ribbed hose gets clogged easier.
- Its a pain in the *** to prime. Worked fine first time, but since then the priming lever doesnt do its job. Ive since found out this is a common problem with the 06 range, dont know if this persists with the the 07 range. There are work arounds, but it doesnt work as it should.
- I also think you should half the tank size for the 06 + 07s based on the rated size. I aim to get 1kg biological media/100litres of tank. With a 406 i can get 2kg with the top basket spare for chemical media. 3kg if you fill the top basket with biological media and forgo any chemical media. Based on this if you are going Fluval I would say go for the smaller FX but a 407 would just about work. Your aquarium falls between the largest 07 and smallest FX.

Plus side for Fluval.

- A little cheaper normally.
- Everyone stocks them and its easy to get spare parts.
- I think there is a broader knowledge base of Fluval products, so troubleshooting is simpler.

If I had to go again, I would do Eheim. Maybe the Eheim Experience 350. Cant comment on them, because I havent used one, but my aquatics mentor swears by Eheim. When my next annual maintenance on the 406 is due, I think I will change over.
That's what I was thinking about the fluval as well but i'm really gravitating towards the eheim at the moment but that could change. Any specific reasons your mentor swears by them?
__________________
will_ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 10:59 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMaier View Post
I just purchased a Sunsun HW-3000 in April. Iíve been very happy with it.
I saw my LFS using the Sunsun and was interested in how they performed. What set up were you using before?
__________________
will_ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 11:01 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Aiken Drum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Derbyshire, UK
Posts: 406
I think just from using them a lot, Eheim always seems to be his go to filter. He works in the aquatics trade, and has reviewed and used a lot of products. I would caution though, that as he works in the trade, possibly his opinion might be swayed to products his employer are pushing. Don't get me wrong, i think the Fluval 406 filter is a good filter, and i would recommend it, but I would try something different given a do over. Given your aquarium is 75g (300 litres) and you want something rated for 100g I dont think Fluval will achieve what you want unless you go for a FX which would be massively oversized. I understand Eheims tank size ratings are closer to what they actually do.

Have you seen Pond Gurus youtube channel? He does a lot of filter reviews. (He isnt my aquatics mentor BTW, but he does good filter reviews).
Quote:
Originally Posted by will_ape View Post
That's what I was thinking about the fluval as well but i'm really gravitating towards the eheim at the moment but that could change. Any specific reasons your mentor swears by them?
__________________

__________________
Aiken Drum
Aiken Drum is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
eheim, filter, fluval, new filter, val

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SunSun vs AquaTop vs Aquaflow vs Polar Aurora vs... 1midniterider General Hardware/Equipment Discussion 0 06-19-2019 09:56 PM
Sunsun 4-Stage External Canister Filter with 9-watt UV Sterilizer Vs. Fluval 406 t57spikes Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 10 12-07-2014 09:15 PM
Rena XP3 vs. Aquatop(sunsun) CF500 Tcal01 General Hardware/Equipment Discussion 14 09-04-2012 02:30 PM
fluval 405 or Aquatop CF400UV 4-Stage Canister Filter with UV 9W, 370 gph 1 LARA General Hardware/Equipment Discussion 0 05-04-2012 07:04 PM
Buying my first filter...fluval or aquatop? Erikmichael23 General Hardware/Equipment Discussion 12 08-04-2011 06:36 PM







» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.