New Idea to Hang LEDs or Halides

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carey

Aquarium Advice Addict
In my search of diy led's I found this awesome deal on a rack to hang your lights from. I paid $90 for my metal led mounting rails and wish I had run across this sooner.

Any thoughts? It says it's good for up to 78" tanks and comes with extension rods.....I was thinking this would let me hang led panels over my 125g.

Here is the link

Aquarium lighting bracket

Looks like it is just bent conduit? How do you attach the fixtures to the rods?

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work. It is just crazy how much stuff costs in this hobby, as even that price point looks high for what you get :).

I like the 'modern' look. Would the zinc and steel alloy pipes have rust issues over a saltwater tank (assuming that it would be over a salt tank)? I know they use zinc fittings on boat propellers so that wouldnt be an issue by itself, but with the steel alloy I'm not sure. I also see it uses stainless steel screws. If the other parts arent the same, then you have dis-similar metals in contact with each other in a humid environment which is the perfect recipe for corrosion.

Just something to consider.... :)

Very good points. lol I just saw this option and figured I'd post it since I went around for months with trying to find an alternative to the hanging mounts I ended up buying. lol

If anything just looking at it could be enough inspiration to get someone to build their own. Now if only I could bend piping.....LOL

Bending conduit isnt difficult if you have the bender (about $30 at Lowes). Not practical to buy one just for a small project like this but you could build the entire frame with one piece of conduit. If you like the industrial look you can get couplings to complete the framework using straight pieces and it is made of the same materials as the tubing. The biggest problem, again, is rust.

Back
Top Bottom