New Large Setup, Q about plumbing, sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jimothy

Aquarium Advice Regular
:n00b:
I am setting up a 180g tank with built in overflow and ramp/platform for freshwater turtles.
(posting here because general setup seems most similar to reef tanks)
I have 3 red-eared sliders in a 45g with Fluval 405 set up now, the 180g is new and needs another week for the seals to harden. I hope to have everything set up by then, Saturday the 27th.

I have drawn up 2 options for the undertank setup and would love feedback on:
  • Water flow through the system in general?
  • In case of power outage, would these setups lead to flood?
  • What type of plumbing, rigid or flexible?
  • Water pump, submersed or external, what brand?
turtletankplan1fe3.th.jpg
setup 1 or setup 2
turtletankplan2ii8.th.jpg

If pics are too small, also attached,
Thanks for looking

Attachments

• TurtleTank_plan1.jpg
    TurtleTank_plan1.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 131
  • TurtleTank_plan2.jpg
    TurtleTank_plan2.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 115
Waterflow -

This is pretty much up to you. If you have your overflow at one end then water is going to drain from there and flow down. I would return the water on the opposite end of the Overflow (unless this is a predrilled reef ready style tank). Your sump design looks just fine.

Flood -

Water will stop draining into your sump when the pump is off. Make sure that the pump return line is not below water level as it can cause a back-siphon and that will flood the floor.

Plumbing -

I have SW tanks and I prefer rigid plumbing. Spaflex is another option. This is up to you.

Pump -

I'm a big fan of the Danner Mag Drive pumps. I'm not sure about turtles and the water temp they need or the kind of flow you are looking for so a recomendation is tough. I would think that a Mag5 - Mag7 would work for your application (500gph 700gph) These pumps can be used submerged or inline so you get the best of both worlds.

The overflow box has holes already drilled for intake/out - is that 'reef ready'?

I need water intake at the bottom and top of the display case and had originally wanted the canister filter to intake under the platform and the overflow box to take from the surface. Both then empti\y into the sump, the canister filter into the large center chamber (future refugium?) and the overflow drain pipe onto bioballs. Then a water pump returns to display in one line.
I have many questions....

-because of screen top, water will not be returned up and over the lip of the display, if the power fails, will water continue to flow down and through the canisterfilter and into the sump?

-when power fails, water can travel through water pump in reverse? are check valves really so faulty as no not rely on them?

-because of the pipe sizes, I wondered whether the in/out pipes should be 1"/2" or 2"/1"...
if I have 2" bulkheads I should utilize the full diameter to maximize potential flow?

-does water simply dump out of pipe into sump? Would a sump inlet be useful and if so, would using a Y PVC piece to separate a 2" drain pipe into two 1" sump inlets be good?

-the bulkheads that came with the tank are threaded bulkheads, would I make this easier on myself by replacing them with slip bulkheads?

Back
Top Bottom