New MH light.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ThrowedToad

Aquarium Advice Freak
:confused:I was in a conversation the other day on this forum and was told that a 70w MH light would be better than my 130w PC for several different reasons. Now my question is now that I have purchased $330 worth of lights, why does the MH seem to be alot dimmer than the PC. Was it worth the $190 for the 70W MH, because tank observation is now at a minimum? Dark shadows, light only in the middle of the tank etc. I have a 29 gallon tank with a huge stack of LR some lps and sps also. Any ideas?

:confused: ...Now my question is now that I have purchased $330 worth of lights, why does the MH seem to be alot dimmer than the PC. Was it worth the $190 for the 70W MH, because tank observation is now at a minimum? Dark shadows, light only in the middle of the tank etc.

Well first, I'm not at all familiar with your tank and what you had/have but here's a few things to think about. If I'm reading this right and assuming your new light is working properly, you have gone from a 130w PC to a 70w MH which cuts your light output roughly in half. 130 watts v/s 70 watts. It seems dimmer because it is dimmer. Your old PC was a fluorescent type which puts out a softer, more bathing light and your MH a lot sharper, more directional light. This is why you get sharp shadows. And a lot more of that cool shimmering effect to so... maybe it's not so bad? Ummm, they're just totally different kinds of lights. Hope that helps.

I agree, and i do like the new light(shimmering and all), I am just trying to make sure that my tank is getting the proper benificial lighting that it deserves.

After a discussion with my wife I have came to a interesting conclusion. I percieve light alot differently than anything under the water does, and it in turn will take time for me to adjust to different light spectrum and intensity because I am a mere human. I never thought of sharp VS. dull. I would rather cut a steak with a small sharp knife than a dull large one even though the dull large one looks like it would cut better. I thank my wife (which is not an aquarium enthusiast) and to brad s. above to quickly open my mentally covered eyes.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom