New Phosphte checker from Hanna

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cmor1701d

Aquarium Advice Addict
Don't know if anyone has tried this yet. I just found it on another board. It's a handheld colorimeter fron Hanna uising the same reagent as their expenisve units.

What gets me is the Resolution: 0.01 ppm (mg/L) and Precision: ±0.04 ppm (mg/L) ±4% of reading @ 25°C

Better than any of the test kits on the market.

So you're assumng I'll be the forstone to try it????

I couldn't do that to you Larry. So please, let us know how it works for you. :D

There is a sponsor of the other site that has them for $39.99 so I might order one to test it. You can do 6 tests, so it's not exactly cheap
"I 713​
Checker®HC is supplied with (2) sample cuvettes with caps, (6) powder reagents for phosphate, (1) 1.5V AAA battery and instructions"

I saw that Hanna unit a bit ago, but wasn't overly impressed with the 0.04ppm precision. Granted... it's a budget unit, and you can't expect bench-quality measurements for that cheap. But at 0.04 precision, you could have a true reading of 0.000, but read 0.04... or vice versa. And since my Salifert test kit's first color chip is at 0.03 ppm, I don't see it as much improvement.

That's because you're younger and have better eyes than me my friend. I have a problem with color chips (color blind) so havnig a digital readout works for me.
I have an API kit now. I'll post a photo when I get home so you can tell me if I have 0 or the first scale up cause I can't tell the difference.

That's why I like the Salifert tests for Ca, Mg and Alk so much. They have a sharp color change.

BTW, I pre-ordered one of these. If they get enough from Hanna I might have it for the weekend as I can pick it up nearby.

Last edited:
Well... it's good to hear that you're beating Larry to it, and we'll have an in-depth review from you soon. You'll compare it against the more expensive one... right?

I can't even imagine using these color charts if I was color blind. So many times the difference between zero and not-zero is just a subtle hint of a color. That's the way my phosphate kit is.

Well I don't have a more expensive one to test against, BUT I guess I could do the same I'm doing with my thermometers. Bring a sample to work and ask metrology to test the sample. THEY have the real expenisve colorimeters (pharma). Can't imagie what favors that will cost me <g>.

So Kurt, what's my current reading?
img_1089533_0_78c6563bd696c4173fbd155c82eab8f5.jpg

img_1089533_1_a899574a57129630686f2409e2eb31b1.jpg

BTW, I used a Salifert syringe to measure out the 5 ML of water for the sample. The silkscreen on the API bottles is always off.
img_1089533_2_8caa22ce86daa490cd4c21356242c86e.jpg

Well I don't have a more expensive one to test against,

Sorry... poor attempt at a joke. I meant that you should get the expensive one too, so that the rest of us would benefit from your thorough testing! Kinda like taking one for the team!

So Kurt, what's my current reading?

Ahhh... you see... there's a reason I don't use the API phosphate kit! ;-) I'm not color blind and I could never figure that one out!

LOL, Kurt. I know the $300+ colorimeters have much pretty precision, but as I've never really had a phosphate problem I couldn't see investing in one. This handheld is cheap enough to buy for the 3-4 times I test in a year.
I will ask at work about bringng a sample in to check against what our metrology department uses so I should be able to offer some comparison <g>.

Thanks AMD. That's what I thought too. It's not quite zero, but I guess the test is is not precise enough for a finer resolution.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom