New Protein Skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mmaglione

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just purchased a Coralife HOB or SUMP protein skimmer. It came in today and i have it hooked up via the HOB kit. I followed the setup directions and everything should be all set. I plug the pump in and water is sucked up, and if i open the water flow all the way it fills the collection cup with water. It has been running for probably 5 hours now, and there has not been any bubbles / skum in the collection cup yet, only the water from the tank. I look in the tube beneith the collection cup and still no bubbles. Whats going on ? Is this normal? The directions say it could take up to 72 hours. Im hoping at that time i just wait and it starts creating the bubbles? Just want to make sure that the device is not either A broken or B setup wrong. Appreciate the help. its a Coralife 65e on a 55G tank. Any one else experience this ? What generally happens when setting up new?

It should be creating bubbles down in the main chamber. If it's not, your air source might be clogged. It will take a few days for the skimmer to "break in" before it really is able to start generating thick foam and collecting any scum.

yep. you should see bubbles in the reaction chamber. if you aren't, it's either "a" or "b".
btw, those skimmers are of poor quality. sorry to be the one to tell you.

Got it working, thanks guys! Yeah it is a low quality model :( but for $100 its better than nothing, i put it in, and it immediately started pulling crap from the tank, even though its still in its break - in period. Im assuming my tank was filthy! no wonder i had a fish die last week, all the Black Spined urchin poo dissolving!

If you can, return it. I bought a CPR bak pak 2 from premiumaquatics.com for $114 shipped !! Great reviews and nice looking design. Doesn't take up too much room in tank !! Also has bio-bale (some kind of biological filtration) that you can either keep in, or you can remove it and place your heater in there so you have less in your DT. You can also find really good deals on this model and the reef octopus models for aroud the same price.

if you are considering returning the skimmer, go with an octopus HOB.
i believe you can also mod the impeller on the coralife skimmer to boost it's efficiency.

Back
Top Bottom