New Rena Filstar XP2 set up HELP!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KerryK

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I live in rural central Texas (Lockhart, the barbe
I'm running a 56 gal tank with a Rena Filstar XP2 (fish aren't in yet). I set up my new Rena XP2 yesterday and everything went okay. It was too easy. Last night I noticed the aquarium water level had dropped. It was coming from where the power cord passes out of the motor housing. Manual troubleshooting guide says there are only 2 reasons for this: if the filter is more than 55" below the water level - it isn't) or the hoses are cut too short or stretched too far causing tension - they aren't). Has anybody else had this happen? If so, what did you do? I ordered the filter on line, so would have to wait for another one if I need to return it.

Please help as I have 3 shubies waiting desperately to get into their new home.

Kerry:(

Open the top and make sure the o-ring gasket that goes around the entire top is seated properly inside the motor housing.

If you do end up having to replace it, I'd recommend going to the XP3 for a 55.

I used the quick disconnect and dumped all the water. There was quite a bit still in the motor housing. I checked the o ring & it was seated & also did a general inspection. When I hooked back up the quick disconnect, I heard the filter make a gurgling sound and the water rose in the hose. I didn't do a re-prime; should I have? I have been checking & so far, no leak.

Do you think the XP2 isn't adequate for a 55?

You should not have to do a re prime. The sound is the flow of water filling the filter. All sounds as though it is working as supposed to.
As far as the XP2 I run a XP3 on a 55 and it is a perfect fit; crystal clear water and very low maintenance

Good luck

I hope it starts working well for you. I haven't had this problem with my XP filters.

I also would suggest an XP3 for a 55-56 gallon tank. You can still use your XP2 if its working properly now, but I suggest getting another filter to run with it, like a HOB (hang on back).

Haven't had this problem. I would suggest an XP3 as well. Great filters, and with a light to medium stocking, you shouldn't have to clean the mechanical media that often at all.

Back
Top Bottom