New RO/DI filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

degbowl

Aquarium Advice Freak
I purchased a new filter from Ebay last week. I have read from other threads that I should run some water through the filter before I start using water for my tank. I am setting up a new sw tank next week. How much or how long should I run the filter the first time I use it? Could I use the water I get when I first run it for my fw tank pwc? I just want to know what other people do. Thanks!
Jim

I think mine said let 5-10 gallons run out first, i wouldnt recommend using it in any tank because you dont really know whats going to come out. Mine had some green water comming out at first because of the resin..so i would just dump it.

I purchased a new filter from Ebay last week.

Which ro/di filter did you get?? i was thinking about buying a filter from one of those ebay stores...how does the water look??

also, a general question...do you need to buy a ro/di filter with an attached tank? or could i just run my filter when i was doing a water change into a bucket or something??

"tanks" alot
Mike

I have the filterdirect 100gpd 6100nt, and I love it. I dumped maybe 10g before I started using it. I got a TDS meter too, and it tests out well. I highly recommend spending the extra few bucks for the pressure tank. Without it the water comes out at a very slow trickle. With it, you have 2+ gallons of RO or RODI on tap. wouldn't be able to use it for drinking water without that. Also, while a 5+ gal pressure tank would be more useful for me, the 2.5 works pretty well. Get the drinking facuet too. it's so nice.

Back
Top Bottom