New Saltwater Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ozquarium

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi guys,
I'm new to the forum, and salt water aquariums! I've just got a 200L tank and set it all up with filter and protein skimmer (no chiller as i won't be having coral unfortunately) and I filled it with salt water yesterday. Here's where my possible problem starts:
Today I went and bought 15kg of sand for the tank. I thoroughly washed it as recommended by the person who sold it to me and put it in roughly 2.5kg at a time. That was 4 hours ago and the water is still really cloudy, having cleared up only a small amount if any. Is this a cause for concern? Does this suggest that I didn't clean the sand well enough and this is dust throughout the water that will cause a problem, or is it just natural sand particles caught in the filtration and I should just turn off the filter and skimmer for a day and let it settle down the bottom of the tank?
I know this is a very vague and probably bizarre question, but given it's my first foray into salt water tanks I'm trying to make sure everything is precise and am worried that if something is just a bit out of whack it will cause a lot of problems.
Thanks!

turn everything off, It will take 48-72 hours for the sand to settle due to part that saltwater is denser that reg water. Don't get anxious give it some time. mine took almost a week to clear up.

img_1020853_0_8bea60fb5de33ea6f62f66e641f7c0e4.jpg

Thanks for all the help. I went back and saw the tank just then (it's at my new place that I haven't moved into yet) and its cleared up a lot even in the last 4 hours, but I've switched off the skimmer and filter and will leave it off for 24 hours and see how it is tomorrow night. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom