new sump problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pkelly944

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey everyone, I just started a new 55g saltwater tank. Here is what I am using and then I will get to my question:

CPR 50 overflow
10g sump
Coralife 65G skimmer
Rio 1700 return pump
The sump has just two baffles to make two chambers in the sump

This is my story:

While waiting for my tank to cycle, the water level in the skimmer chamber was perfect and remained unchanged. Added water daily to return side from evap. This was good for about 3 weeks. One day, the water level with the skimmer was way low, return side equally higher. I tried getting the levels back, they would hold for a few hours, the completely change again.

I talked to a friend who said I should have my water level on the skimmer side to be overflowing into the return side. But I am having trouble accomplishing this because of two things: 1. To have the level that high, I need to open the flow of my return pump which is causing loud bubbling noise on the down pipe from the overflow in the sump, and 2. the micro bubbles are very high in the skimmer and even with the bubble valve all the way open, the water level is high in the cup.

I have added quite a bit of water to the sump as well and at this point it has as much water as it can safely hold if the power was to go out, so adding water is no longer an option. I just cant seem to get the skimmer micro bubbles and return pump to operate steadily with lower noise and lower micro bubbles in the cup... any ideas?

Here are two pictures:

Don't bother with the water levels as these were taken awhile ago. But the set-up is the same. I have been thinking today of removing the upper baffle, pulling it in closer where it should be, and adding the third baffle as well.

edit:

Pictures didn't work.. here are links

http://www.flickr.com/photos/patrickkelly/4524021826/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/patrickkelly/4523388491/

Last edited:
Could do with a few more pics,but for a start your baffles are the wrong way round,the first pane of glass should have the gap at the base of the sump and the second should be sealed at the bottom to allow flow over the top into the next section to eliminate any bubbles from entering the rest of the sump.As for water levels is that an overflow box your using if so the water level should be governed by your return pump flow,I've heard removing the flow regulator in the box may reduce the sound.

Hope this helps

The only way the water level in the 1st section where the skimmer is can drop is if the output of the skimmer dumped the water past the 1st baffle. You have to make sure the skimmer dumps all the water back into the 1st section.

since yesterday, i removed the upper baffle, moved it an inch away form the bottom baffle and added the third baffle at the bottom on the return side.. i suppose i should give it a go when its dried and see if it makes a difference..

so the output of the skimmer should be aimed back into the skimmer chamber and not over the baffle? if so I will adjust that then when i run it again..

Back
Top Bottom