new tank: need advice choosing filter and lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

basslover

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have 3 (pinkie finger size) bass. They are freshwater, currently in a 10 gallon tank. I have a 55 gallon tank a friend gave me. I "cleaned" it with the diluted bleach, let it sit and rinsed it out well. I know once the tank is set up I have to cycle it without the fish for 3 days. I could really use some advice on choosing a filter and lighting. I know my bass like cooler freshwater. My tank is planted, with 40 % sand and the rest a variety of sizes of river rocks including some very large (bass like to rub against rocks). Bass are very messy like turtles. I looked at the eheim 2234 or 2236 and marienland magnum 350. I do not understand the difference between the easy, pro, deluxe models or the need for a bio-wheel? Or what of it is necessary and what is extra. Not looking for pricey (as we have 2 small kids) but not looking for a headache or a lot of maintance either. Would also like a recommendation on lighting. Again nothing super fancy, but some single compact fluorescent light that is decent. System or at least bulb suggestion. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom