Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-24-2021, 01:18 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

New To Hobby, Tank Over electrical panel

Hi All,

I am very new to this hobby, but my son wanted an animal ... and he seemed to be really into fishes... so I have decided to get him an aquarium for his BD...

Well I am a bit nerdy and obsessive so without any fish I started researching and researching and researching... so I ended up with 55 Gallon Aquarium stand etc... and over 1000$ less well off,

We already had our first water incident during initial filling- 5 gal of water leaving the aquarium, thankfully it all collected inside the stand, We were able to remedy the situation within 30 mins. so nothing major happened ( I hope the integrity of the stand is still ok)

The tank is undergoing a fishless cycling process and still in Stage One.

One thing just hit me... The aquarium is located on the first floor in the corner for of the house right over our Electrical panel (which is located one floor below in the basement).

This seems to me is a recipe for disaster... Unfortunately it is a perfect spot as far as stability and esthetics are concerned, but I am a bit worried?

So I think I would like to ask more experienced fishkeepers. Do you guys think I should move it? (I think I know what the answer is and it involves work)

Thank You and all the best

Old 02-24-2021, 05:49 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Get some corrugated plastic and mount it to the floor joists above panels. Use a spacer at end away from panel to create pitch. Spray foam gaps above panel. $50 and a few hours if you're handy

Old 02-25-2021, 12:56 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookster123 View Post
Get some corrugated plastic and mount it to the floor joists above panels. Use a spacer at end away from panel to create pitch. Spray foam gaps above panel. $50 and a few hours if you're handy
good idea... but not sure it is possible in my specific panel setup, as all the power cables are routed above the panel. I think I am going to have to move the tank. For now it has no fish ... so probably better to do it now when later
Old 02-25-2021, 11:42 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeroz View Post
good idea... but not sure it is possible in my specific panel setup, as all the power cables are routed above the panel. I think I am going to have to move the tank. For now it has no fish ... so probably better to do it now when later
Don't forget to add a $10 water alarm underneath...

Tags
electric, hob, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com