New User & New to Marine Keeping - Please Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EssexMarineVirgin

Aquarium Advice Newbie
South Woodham Ferrers, Chelmsford, Essex, UK
Hi All,
Done lots of reading before taking the plunge into marine keeping Sunday. Bought Trigon 190 set up Sunday, as described in my profile. Originally had halide over top but changed to T5s (new tubes purchased and reflectors). Xenia and Sailfin Tang seem okay with change of lights.
Main problem is with skimmer - so noisy!!! Came with Prizm Pro skimmer and despite cleaning it up, changing impeller and fiddling with air intake and water flow it is still noisy. Mrs C is not happy as she cannot watch her soaps in peace!!
Can anybody offer some good advice re a decent protein skimmer (not too expensive!) that is QUIET :-D, can hang on the side of the Trigon 190 and is roughly the size of the Prizm Pro as the lid has been specifically cut away to the size of the Prizm Pro skimmer?
Also worried about how fickle it is, as you only have to tweak it a minute amount and it either does not skim properly or it fills the overflow tank too quickly. I am looking at when we go away trying to avoid overflow onto my nice wooden floor! Will have neighbours of friends come in every day to check and feed but I know just how tempremental the Prizm Pro skimmers are (having now read up on them, didn't know before...).
A final thing. Can you get skimmers that if they do overflow there is some sort of an overflow feed that will pour water back into the tank or cut off the skimmer, rather than water simply spilling out fo the collection cup? Just don't want to come home one day and the living room is flooded. The Mrs would DEFINITELY not be happy then... :bowl:

Moved to the General hardware and equipment discussion. You`ll get more answers there for your questions.

Back
Top Bottom