newbie help with filtration setup. aqua one cf1200

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Delamarrr

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, im new to aquariums. Ive just bought a 300L tank with stand, and it came with a aqua one cf1200 canister filter. The tank is about 4 weeks old now and contains 4 small cichlids and a large convict. They are all getting along really well. My problem is, i really dont think my filter is doing much at all. I have the pickup down one end, and the single output piece down the opposite pointing forwards. After a day, the coral sand is covered in fish poo. Its just every where. It even builds up next to the pick up tube.

I have measured the canister flow to be about 800L per hour, which is about right for this pump. I have bio balls + coarse sponge in the bottom, then coarse sponge and noodles in the middle, then white wool pad on the top, as per the manual.

Currently I have to vac the sand every day so that it doesn't look totally disgusting in there. Surely this is not how its meant to be?

Can anyone suggest what im doing wrong, or what i need to do to correct this? Do i need a power head in the tank to create more water movement? Do i need another filter?

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the site!
I am not familiar with that filter, but you can either remove the sponge or add another ph to move the waste toward the intake.

Back
Top Bottom