No nitrifying bacteria needed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hi Delapool:

No, never tried it and am old enough to be skeptical about it. It may very well be the next great thing in our hobby, but for now I'll stick with nitrifying bacteria and the nitrogen cycle.

If you do decide to try one, would you let us all know how it turns out?

-Yorg

Finally found a link that says it should convert to N2 as final product.

If tap water was high in ammonia could be useful maybe.

I'll look around for results. I'd love to give it a go but tanks are already cycled.

http://www.yihufish.com/cos/o.x?c=/qql/pagetree&func=download&rid=3017542

Edit - thanks for the reply back too. I'm not sure on the need for it but the technology is interesting.

Last edited:
I want to start a tank with one of these filters, treat the tank with a strong antibiotic, and then add some fish and see how they do.

Although, if this works, is it even worth it then? Nitrifying bacteria are still arguably more reliable. If this mechanism breaks, then what? Buy a new filter?

I want to start a tank with one of these filters, treat the tank with a strong antibiotic, and then add some fish and see how they do.

Although, if this works, is it even worth it then? Nitrifying bacteria are still arguably more reliable. If this mechanism breaks, then what? Buy a new filter?

That's a good point. We get power blackouts here every so often..

My question is with the material they are using for ammonia removal, does it ever stop working and if so, how do you know? Is this something you need to test the tank daily for or have to constantly buy a new cartridge of the stuff ever X amount of weeks so they are making the money on the repeat cartridge sales? To me, this sounds like the "No water changes necessary" products that absorb nitrates but fail to consider or educate the customer that water changes do more than just remove nitrates. :whistle: Just sayin' ;)

My question is with the material they are using for ammonia removal, does it ever stop working and if so, how do you know? Is this something you need to test the tank daily for or have to constantly buy a new cartridge of the stuff ever X amount of weeks so they are making the money on the repeat cartridge sales? To me, this sounds like the "No water changes necessary" products that absorb nitrates but fail to consider or educate the customer that water changes do more than just remove nitrates. :whistle: Just sayin' ;)

From what I understand it's not something that needs to be replaced; it's a device that uses electricity to remove the ammonia. But you're still correct- water changes are still necessary so that also renders this filter pointless.

Sent from my XT830C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom