Noisy Filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stephanie

Aquarium Advice Regular
Have you ever stuck your ear up to the side of your tank? Some filters and pumps are very noisy. I have a cheap little filter in my betta tank and it seems so loud. The filter that came installed in the lid of my hex tank is loud too. Can the noise bother the fish, or do they hear it differently underwater than we do when we press our ears to the glass? I know this is a funny question :lol: I really want to know though!

I really don't think that filter noise bothers fish that much as it isn't too intense. Since it is also constant and not random, I think they probably even get conditioned to the noise.

This are of course my opinions as I am not basing this on any data. Just my thoughts....

I would agree, if you have a fan going in your home from the time you arived, do you think it would bother you? I dont think it bothers them, most filters are noisy, but hey, the fish have not seemed to mind over the past forever. I would love to see some scientific data.

I know, I wish I could see some data too. I've never heard or read anything before on this subject. Thats why I asked about it. I agree about the fan thing, but some filters are much noisier and more annoying than fans!

I have 2 canister filters that are below the tank, inside the stands cabinet. One is a Filstar xP-3 and the other is a Fluval 404. Both are extremely quiet... :fadein:

I have a canister filter on one of my tanks. The loud filter is in the betta tank. I put my ear up there and was like wow, its really loud in there! But I really think that fish don't hear like we do. I've noticed that when I turn the filter off and on (I turn it off at night because the pump is annoying), my fish doesn't even flinch. What seems to bother him is when I turn the light off and on.

Normally its kind of a white noise that you wouldnt notice. Fish can hear, but they can also sleep with their eyes open. If they could do that they could probably get by with some noise, although, yes they can hear it and it is possible for it to bother them too.

Back
Top Bottom