Noisy Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oregonandre

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Ive just set up a 75 gallon tank and have a couple HOB filters and a pump going. This thing sounds like some kind of power plant. I like the noise from the water but all the buzzing and vibrating is annoying.

The parts are all used. Could they just be worn out? Is there any maitenence i could do to make them quieter.

Thanks

Welcome to AA!! What kind of filters are they? I had the same problem with one of my air pumps and I solved it by putting a control valve on the line and I wrapped it in a washcloth to stop the vibrating. It worked for me. Good luck

HOBs aren't the quietest filters. Some are better than others, but canisters are much quieter than even the best HOB. My AC30 and AC50 aren't very noisy, but my AC70 has a decent hum to it. I've learned to ignore it.

Im not sure what kind they are.. im a total rookie at this. I really doubt its a normal amount of noise though. I should probably just replace them or upgrade to the canisters..

Have you tried cleaning them? Try soaking the impellers in vinegar for a while and scrub them. If that doesn't work, you may just have some tired-out, abused equipment.

You could do a fluval 405 canister or an ac110 hob. Really just depends on what you like. The aquaclears are really good filters and the 405 from what I heard is a really good canister.

Back
Top Bottom