Noobie Python question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Taelen

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey all,

I bought one of these little wonders to clean my 38g. Generally speaking, what kind of cleaning schedule is appropriate? I currently have:

1 red tailed shark
1 striped raphael catfish
2 small silver guys
1 pearl gourami

and soon to be 1 BN pleco.

I have heard anywhere from weekly to monthly.

Second question is the previous owner of our home/fishtank did pwc with his python and refilled with a separate bucket of water that he would add treatments to. I believe the Python is meant to refill the tank as well, but what chemicals/treatments should be re-added to the tank after removing water/cleaning with the Python? Should I be re-adding the treaments with every cleaning?

Thanks.

Hey Taelen.

I clean my tank about twice a month. Some people like to do it weekly, some people do it monthly. With your current stock, I would think twice a month would be fine.

About the bucket, I believe (I don't use a python, someone correct me if I'm wrong) that you can simply add the dechlor while the tank is refilling and avoid buckets all together. I don't add any sort of dechlor/chemicals to my tank at all, but I also live off a well. If you have a municipal water supply that is treated with chlorine, this is the only way you'd have to add a treatment to the water.

HTH

Well, we have had the tank for about 1 month now, it was an established tank that had maybe been neglected a teeny bit over the last while. So I have done 3 pwc/cleanings in the last 4 weeks. Each time so far I have removed about 25% and added a bit of dechlor and a bit of the bacteria water (exact name escapes me). After reading a bit more, it seems that in this established tank I don't really have to add the bacteria as it's probably quite abundant in the tank, although the directions say an established tank should be getting some as well.

I have also changed my filter once and it appears that there is some kind of plastic cartridge alongside the filter, this seems to be quite scumy at the moment.

I guess my biggest worry is the chemical balance and making sure I'm adding the right amounts, feels like if I use the Python to refill that I'm sort of winging it?

Another thing is cleaning the sides of the tank below the gravel substrate, this is a spot that the Python doesn't really get well and can been seen from the outside. How do most of you clean this area?

I have used a Python or an equivalent type device for many years. I'm sure others will agree as well that Prime is a economical water treatment as well as a very high quality one so you don't have to worry about dosing the water much. I have a 125 and 40 that I do PWCS on weekly and I let the Python suck away the gravel from the areas where the algae grwos then use a safe brush if it bothers me visually.

On a side note I am luck enough to have a outside hose bib close to where I can run the Python and if you can use one since the suction you get is approx 3-5 greater than any inside faucet. Just remember to remove it and reconnect to a inside faucet so that when you re-add the water your can beforehand get it to within 1 degree of the current tank temp. I use a digital thermometer for this and it makes it easy to adjust the temp to be even closer to than 1 degree difference

Back
Top Bottom