Not even a week old Fx5

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
Not sure this is anything but figures is ask but I'm also gonna call the company tomorrow. The canister is running great no problems. Quiet really quiet!! But today I was just looking over the tank looking to see if I had any dead fish and I can hear a swishing sound. Never heard it before.

Best I can describe is it sounds like a washer machine during cycle. Swishing back and fourth. Sometimes it's louder then other times. Not over powering loud but it's not silent like it was.

I have in it. I'll use tray 1 as the bottom and work up from there.

Tray 1 bio media (fluval)

Tray 2 bio media and polishing pads (fluval)

Tray 3 pre filter and 1 carbon

2 trays have seeded media from my old filters.

Your thoughts?

Mumma.of.two said:
Air pockets maybe? idk.

It suppose to shut down automatically every 24 hours for 2 minutes to release any trapped air. I dunno either. It stopped now, I went to check.

It does sound like there is air in it. I use the FX5 and don't have that sound. Try turning it off for a couple minutes and turn it back on. It will turn itself off again in 2 minutes. If it still makes the noise after that, it's probably not air bubbles. The company was good to me when I got mine, I had a hair line crack in the cannister, they sent me a new one no charge.

Zagz said:
It does sound like there is air in it. I use the FX5 and don't have that sound. Try turning it off for a couple minutes and turn it back on. It will turn itself off again in 2 minutes. If it still makes the noise after that, it's probably not air bubbles. The company was good to me when I got mine, I had a hair line crack in the cannister, they sent me a new one no charge.

Ok so shut it down now? For a few then plug it back in?

EDIT:

It stopped now and now is just a hint of flowing water. Can barely hear it and the motor very quite again. Maybe worked itself out? See I get myself crazy worried sometimes. Still new here...

Last edited:
Zagz said:
Yes, it sure won't hurt it and it will probably be the first thing the company will ask you to do.

I edited my post

Disregard it started again.

Last edited:
LOL glad it is working now. Usually that kind of sound is air trapped in it, especially when it's new, the media can trap air in it.

Zagz said:
LOL glad it is working now. Usually that kind of sound is air trapped in it, especially when it's new, the media can trap air in it.

LoL I edited it again. It started making that. Noise again. It's been unplugged for 2 minutes. Should I plug it back in? I thought the whole thing with this new system was the fact that it shuts itself down to release trapped air so you don't have to? Kinda pointless if you have to do it anyway no?

It releases bubbles. If you have a lot of air in there (whichI would guess you do), It won't release it as easily. I'm not all that familiar with the FX5, but I would guess there's some way to prme it. I would start there making sure you get every bit of air out of it.

mfdrookie516 said:
It releases bubbles. If you have a lot of air in there (whichI would guess you do), It won't release it as easily. I'm not all that familiar with the FX5, but I would guess there's some way to prme it. I would start there making sure you get every bit of air out of it.

Ok thanks. I plugged it in. It primed itself and now shut down as its suppose to. It will turn back on it 2 minutes. Maybe that's what it needed.

Unplug it and raise the intake side of the cannister to let the air out,then replug and level, you may have clogged polish pads.if you reread the conversation we had when you got it i mentioned the air issues;)

hi every1 i was wondering if some1 could help me with a problem.My wife has a cat and im thinking about buying a red sea max 250 i was wondering will the cat jump up onto the tank or will he try and scratch at the glass to get at the fish if so i wont want the tank please help

R1 MOTOGP said:
hi every1 i was wondering if some1 could help me with a problem.My wife has a cat and im thinking about buying a red sea max 250 i was wondering will the cat jump up onto the tank or will he try and scratch at the glass to get at the fish if so i wont want the tank please help

Hello and welcome. First your in the wrong section. There is a salt water section. I'm sure a MOD will step in and move your post. And second this is considered hijacking a thread. It's not on topic. You may want to read the forum rules before posting. You also cant use texting style typing example someone instead of some1 or everyone instead of every1, Just a friendly heads up :)

But seriously read the rules to the forum and again welcome to AA.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom