Nutrafin Hagen CO2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zagz

Aquarium Advice Addict
Has anyone tried the nutrafin hagen CO2 system rather than CO2 pressurized systems? If so what success or failure? Here is a link that explains what it is.

That is the yeast method and really that unit is only good for 10g and under. It probably holds about a liter of water (or maybe less) and really, I wouldn't use that on anything over 5g myself. I used 2x2 liter bottles on 5g and 10g tanks.

If you want it for a little nano planted, it would be fine.....but it would be cheaper to just make up some DIY CO2. :)

I've used that system on my 5 gallon setups and it worked wonderfully. I could never get it to work on my 10 gallon tank so I went pressurized with that tank.

Wine yeast will make CO2 longer than bread yeast. I'm not sure what kind of yeast the kit comes with, but it lasted about a month. The wine yeast I use lasts 4-6 weeks in my 5 gallon tank.

I used the tubing that came with the kit (I even used a little bit of it on my pressurized system) but I used a limewood airstone for a diffuser instead of the bubble ladder. The bubble ladder seemed to work ok, but it was borderline too tall for the 5 gallon tanks, and the limewood airstone did make much smaller bubbles.

Thanks guys good information to know. I am toying with the idea of pressurized for the discus tank. I may do a DIY just to see how they tolerate it.

I used the tubing that came with the kit (I even used a little bit of it on my pressurized system) but I used a limewood airstone for a diffuser instead of the bubble ladder. The bubble ladder seemed to work ok, but it was borderline too tall for the 5 gallon tanks, and the limewood airstone did make much smaller bubbles.

Limewood airstones are great! I use them on my little DIY CO2 setups. I even used them with pressurized for short times while I was cleaning a glass diffuser (before I had an extra).

I am using limewood airstones on my pressurized system now. One of my glass diffusers broke, the other one got too clogged, so I stayed with the limewood airstones. They last for two to three months before they need changed, but they are so cheap that it's ok. I only have had the limewood airstones in the smaller tanks (5 and 10 gallons). I don't know how they would distribute the CO2 in a bigger tank. You could still use them but just try to place the airstone so that the bubbles enter a powerhead and then get disbursed through the tank that way.

Back
Top Bottom