Ocanic vs. All-Glass-Aquariums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

I am in the planning stages of my first reef aquarium. It will be a couple of months until I start buying equipment. I have decided that I would like an 125 gallon aquarium.

The question I have is what is the difference between Ocanic and All-Glass Aquariums (AGA). The LFS is really pushing the Oceanic, but AGA is like half the price. If there is not any major problems with the AGA I would like to get it and use some of the money to buy other equipment.

I have an Oceanic 58 Gallon and I think the glass is a bit thicker. (can't comment on All Glass in the states it might be different than Canada).

I'm very happy with mine.. If it had not been on sale I would have gone with the "all glass" as well.

Its my understanding that Oceanic is simply the higher end tanks and All Glass brand is the lower cost brand. Usually the Oceanic tanks have more decorative top and bottom frame vs the plastic frames of the all-glass tanks. I would also say that the oceanic tanks would have thicker glass for the equilvent size all-glass tank but dont hold me to that.

Thanks everyone for replying.

I called around to a few Not so Local Fish Stores. One guy told me that All-Glass bought out Oceanic. He also told me that even though they are the same company now, they are keeping the two tank lines separate. He said that the Oceanic tanks are built with thicker glass and are (in his opinion) better made.

I was also told that if I do not purchase one of Oceanic's Stands, then they won't warranty the tank.

One of the stores said that he gets custom tanks made from Universal Aquariums in Houston. Has anyone heard of this company? I am thinking about going that route.

I havent heard of them but I know some folks who have said good things about a company called glass cages.

I was also told that if I do not purchase one of Oceanic's Stands, then they won't warranty the tank
This is true. However, the tanks and stands from Oceanic are outstanding. I bought one 6 years ago, set up, tore it down, stored it, had it moved by Mayflower(not crated up, just put in truck with rest of stuff), stored it again for two years, had it moved by Mayflower again, and have just set it up again. No problems!

TomK2

Oceanic's stands are very well built too - plus, they do a really nice job on the doors and the finish. They're probably the next best thing to DIY. When I bought my Oceanic 58 gal, I got a five year warranty if I bought an Oceanic stand with it. Without a stand, it would have been a one year warranty through the lfs.

All of my other tanks are made by All-Glass and I've been very happy with their quality too. Oceanic's glass is a bit thicker and a bit heavier - only real differences I can see.

I use AGA, I'm more interested in what's in the tank and the stands are fine. People don't tend to stare at my stands.

Oceanic and All Glass Aquariums are both owned by Central Pet. They are one of the biggest distributors of all pet supplies in the country but they are HUGE on the west coast. I think the glass on the tanks are indistinguishable unless you special order sapphire glass from Oceanic which is extremely expensive since it doesn't have that green cast to it ( look at you aquarium glass from the edges).

The workmanship on the Oceanic tanks are nicer in terms of sloppy silicone work and more solid feeling stands. Most AGA stands are particle board while you can get oceanic stands in solid wood.

For my money, go with the AGA. Incidentally, the same company also own Island Aquarium. So AGA is really the middle of the road not the bottom :wink:

Back
Top Bottom