Old lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They are bulbs I can't even read the writing on them they're so old! Guess it's time to upgrade!

I think it depends on what you are doing. Is this FW or SW? If FW are you fish only or trying to grow plants? If SW any coral?

If you have a fish only tank regardless of FW or SW then I really don't think it makes a difference how old the light is. It will put out less of the desired range of light that you want (which is why they get changed once a year) but that is only needed if you are growing plants or have coral.

Just having a light that is old is probably not reason you have algae IMO.

Fresh water no plants. At our Lfs they had a sign up that said old lights could cause more algae so that's why I assumed it was the lights. It's a brown algae we've never had that before could the cichlid buffer or the lake salt have caused this? Water parameters are good. I broke down and cleaned our filration system yesterday because the algae was covering it! I have this agae fix stuff that did the trick when we had an algae bloom a year ago but I prefer to add as little to the tank as I possibly can! Whatcha think?

brown.. like rust? sounds like diatoms, which isn't because of lighting. they'll burn themselves out unless you've got some crazy phosphates in your water. overfeeding can contribute

+1 a brown algae that covers everything? Does sound like diatoms that come and go. Give it 2 weeks and they may be gone.

Fresh water no plants. At our Lfs they had a sign up that said old lights could cause more algae so that's why I assumed it was the lights. It's a brown algae we've never had that before could the cichlid buffer or the lake salt have caused this? Water parameters are good. I broke down and cleaned our filration system yesterday because the algae was covering it! I have this agae fix stuff that did the trick when we had an algae bloom a year ago but I prefer to add as little to the tank as I possibly can! Whatcha think?

According GWAPA, old bulbs can cause a Diatoms outbreak. Takes time for them to burn out, I'm on week 4 of mine and it's just starting to show signs of no new growth.

Greater Washington Aquatic Plant Association » Algae in the Planted Aquarium

Back
Top Bottom