Old style tank background/pain

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seunlatymer

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I’ve just picked up a used tank from my LFS. It was an ex display tank they’ve had for a few years and the cashier whom I was speaking with didn’t have much information for be beyond the size and that there were no leaks or scratches. I plan to use it as a room divider and need both sides to see through, but there’s a background on one pane which I’m stumped as to what it is, it’s the same material as what is below the canopy on the sides. Feels raised/3D to the touch, any ideas on what it is and how I may remove it?
Picture attached of one of the side panels.
Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• 0DD71443-9355-45FF-B62F-2A30A7BCD20F.jpg
    0DD71443-9355-45FF-B62F-2A30A7BCD20F.jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 34
Assuming it’s on the outside rear of the tank, it is probably crystallizing paint. We old timers would paint it on (one color-usually blue or green), and it formed geometric patterns as it dried. No two were ever the same. It was either do that or buy a cheap decal. I’m sure we exposed ourselves to all types of carcinogen fumes. If that’s it, I have no idea of its safety in removing it. That tank could be 30 years plus in age. The good old days! By the way, mecurochrome was still the best treatment for wounds on fish. The old heads will know about that.

Thank you for your quick response

Do you know how to remove this stuff?
I’ve tried razors scrapers, paint remover… the works
And still no joy, is there some sort of chemical I need for it

Sorry, I don’t. If you know a good family hardware store, not Lowe’s, etc, and tell them you think it’s a crystallizing paint maybe they do. That’s my only suggestion. We knew we were stuck with it when we did it unless we bought a new tank. You also might check in with a paint store.

Back
Top Bottom