One large heater or two smaller?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

angelmisty

Aquarium Advice Regular
So my 55g FW tank has a 15+ year old heater. Cant make out info but recently placed too close to air stone. After noticing temp fluctuations during night, and moisture inside the glass of the heater, its time to replace. Logic tells me... { 55g tank= 200/250 watt heater} { 250w heater average 14 inches.} { 100 watt heater avg. 10 inches}. With that being said, wouldnt 20 inches and two independent temp controllers be somewhat more stable and consistant?? I get the plug issue. But i cant see why those two plugs cant be put on a one-to-three grounding adapter.
The redundancy of two small {heater wattage requirment/2} heaters just seems to offer more pros v. cons IMO...
Whats ur opinion?

For larger tanks ( 55 and above) I would go with 2 heaters. I have 2 on my 55, like you said it gives better temperture distribution throughout the tank and the main reason I go with 2 is because if 1 fails you have backup. During the summer months i usually unplug 1 as it isn't as important but depending where you live you definately want 2 running in the winter.

Back
Top Bottom