opinions on this sump, please :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

catmel

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi everyone, just curious as I am new to the sump world ( have a 55 gallon currently set up with no sump - upgrading to a 75 gallon with a sump) and was wondering what people thought of this sump.

Its a used pro clear aqua 175 - goes new for over $200 looks like, and I can get it for $65.. is it worth it or should I hold out for something better?

I'm a newbie in this area, and would appreciate the help!
Thank you!!

Attachments

• sump.jpg
    sump.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 60
While that will work, it's more of a wet/dry filter setup. I would just buy a 20 long, a few pieces of plexiglas and make my own.

i agree with larry. you are better off making your own. this way you can make it exactly how you want/need it. it's going to be difficult getting that to hold a skimmer, and keeping the water level constant so it's most efficient.
you are going to end up having to glue in partitions anyway.

if you haven't purchased the tank yet, but a "reef ready" 75. it's so much better than using that HOB overflow box. you'll be glad you did.

Unfortunatly havent been able to find a reef ready tank :( I will probably have to go with the overflow box.

What is the best return pump to use, if I end up getting this? - I may just use the plumbing and make my own 20 gallon sump ( if I can figure out how)

I have no idea what size pump I'll need. the whole sump idea is really new to me. I apperciate the help!!

you can ask your lfs to order you one.
if not, i would drill the tank you have then. it's very easy. one hole is all you need. you can order the bit, the surface skimmer box, everything you need from "glass holes".
Complete Overflow Kits - Glass-Holes.com dope aquarium stuff
cheap and free shipping.
btw, plenty of information is on the web about making a sump. it's also very easy.
a mag 7 or quiet one 3000 is a good sized pump for your application. i like the quiet one pumps better then the mag drives.

Doug, thanks for the help and link. :)

Would it be worth it to buy the above pictured sump just for the overflow and tubing? I am seeing online that new overflows seem to be at least $65.

well, if you are going to drill the tank, which is 1000x better than using a HOB overflow box for multiple reasons, you won't have any use for the above pictured HOB overflow.
if you are still considering a HOb overflow, that is as good as any other used one i guess.

Why not keep the 55g tank and make your sump out of that?? The bigger the sump, the more stable the system and the more room you have for equipment. Two little pieces of plexiglass siliconed in that 55 and you've got an awesome sump. A LFS could even drill it for you with a couple bulkheads. One for return and 1 or 2 for inflow. Why spend more $ if you can use the 55?

BTW, any tank can be drilled as long as it is not tempered glass. Reef Ready means nothing more then pre-drilled. Again, if you can't find a RR tank buy one that is not tempered glass and have it drilled with two holes for drains. Bam, reef ready and way better then using overflows. Nothing but troubles with overflows.

hey there...as waynotcars said, why dont u used your 55g and make it as your sump..?? just need to find the glasses to make your baffles...but if your reason because of limited places, u may consider 20-30g sump....

im user of HOB overflow....for the time being i have no problem at all except the sound from the water flow...but that is me....i dunno others.....

Back
Top Bottom