Opinions Please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pizentios

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi there,

Just curious, what is every bodies opinions on hexagon shaped tanks? I realize that they tend to be taller than they are wide, and thus have issues with the amount of oxygen that can get into the water (naturally).

Thanks for the opinions,

-Pizentios

I think they are cool looking but they greatly limit the fishes horizontal movement as well, I know if I was in a cage I'd rather it be really long and flat than short and really tall

Hi there. I had a 60 gallon hex for awhile, actually that hex is what fueled my new obsession with fish. lol But anyways, I had an airstone in there plus the filter flow and it seemed ok with the fish. The only reason I got rid of the hex was because I couldnt reach the bottom to move stuff around and do maintenance. But you can make some nice tall aquascapes with the hex that you cant do with a regular tank. :)

Good luck! Wish I could've been of more help.

Thanks for the quick replies guys!

I realize that the fish will be limited in the amount of side to side swimming space they would have but as carey suggested i think there are some neat posiblities for aquascapes. I would likely have a sump with this tank if i do go ahead with the build and a air stone in said sump.

Hex tanks are a terrible choice in my opinion. They require special stands to look good and the lighting is problematic, due to both the shape and relative depth. As well they are lousy for keeping fish in.

If you already have one though it's best to get some use out of it! Some of us got free ones or had them around so we try to do the best we can with what we got. :)

Well,

I don't have a functional one yet, but it's in the build process right now. Just wanted to see what everybody thought of them before i made my DIY thread and got flamed for building one lol.

I think i will post my diy thread right now anyways and go from there.

I dont think youll get flamed, its just alot of people have a bias against the hex. I have to agree though, if given a choice i would choose a standard tank over a hex. But my hex was free and I wasn't turning that down. lol

Not a fan of the hex tanks.

You shouldn't get flamed here. The mods work hard to keep this a friendly place.

I think the best thing about hex tanks is the flexibility it provides for having a tank it a small space/room. It may be easier to find a spot for a 60 gallon hex tank as opposed to a 60 gallon rectangular tank. But, like the OP said, they really are 2 different types of tanks based on the foot print. The fish you can put into a rectangular tank aren't necessarily the same ones you'll put in a hex tank.

Naw i wasn't really worried about being flamed. Was more of a joke than anything. I have submitted my DIY thread, will post more to it once it's approved.

Pizentios said:
Naw i wasn't really worried about being flamed. Was more of a joke than anything. I have submitted my DIY thread, will post more to it once it's approved.

I'll watch for the new thread and see how you do. Post pics when its setup. Good luck

I think the best thing about hex tanks is the flexibility it provides for having a tank it a small space/room. It may be easier to find a spot for a 60 gallon hex tank as opposed to a 60 gallon rectangular tank. But, like the OP said, they really are 2 different types of tanks based on the foot print. The fish you can put into a rectangular tank aren't necessarily the same ones you'll put in a hex tank.

I agree. I am planning on putting this tank on my desk, so that was part of the reason that i chose a hex shape. I will likely build a nice big rectangle tank after i am done with this one to go in my living room or in the man cave (depending on where the wife lets me put it).

i just got a tank like a tall hex except it is rectangle on end 13''x13''x19''h(with 2 power heads undergravel filter, heater...for free), and i have been thinking you can be more creative aquascaping these tall tanks.been thinking about fish too, like a kuhli loach for the bottom unless i can find a south american substitute , a couple tetra for mid, and a couple hatchet fish for top...im alittle late posting this but here it is
33953-albums1418-picture10122.jpg

Last edited:
Very cool. I am moving into my new house this weekend so I am getting excited to get my tank setup and cycling. I am just waiting for a new pump and some filter media in the mail then I can get it cycling.

If you wanna see some pictures of the build process of my tank I have another thread in the DIY forum as I am building mine from scrach.

I think, like a lot of people, hexes are probably annoying due to not being able to reach the bottom to scape and plant, and the fish not having room to move laterally. But, I think a shorter, squattier hex would be interesting and cool if they were ever to make them (though that would be a bugger for taking up space).

Back
Top Bottom