I am planning out my next tank build. I'll be upgrading from an 85g Tall to a 120 -180, not decided on size yet. I'm currently running a FOWLR
, but looking to get back in to reeling once the new tank is running and stable. I have a few questions and would like to get as much insight as possible.
1. Closed Loop- does any one use them anymore? If so, how much flow do you run? If not, what do you use for circulation?
2. Overflow - new tank will be drilled but I'm not a fan of tower overflows. I'm considering either a Synergy Reef Systems Shadow overflow or a Custom Aquariums H2Overflow with stealth box. Does anyone have experience with either of these? Is the something better out there?
3. Sump/Refugium - build my own or buy a pre-made sump. I really like the features of Trigger Systems and Skimz sumps but not sure I want to pay that kind of money for something I can build myself.
4. Top off water storage.what is everyone using for top off storage? My tank will be nowhere near a water source. The only reason my wife agreed to this new tank was that I had to promise to get my top off buckets out of sight. I want something that will hold 5-10 gallons, maybe more but I can't afford to lose too much space in my stand.
5. Return pipe - through the glass or up and over the rim? I will be using a canopy so up and over the rim can be disguised easily.
Thanks all for your input.