Optimal Filtration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey Paul, are they your tanks in the video's you posted??
The videos on the photobucket account (same handle Paul1792) are mine. They were taken months ago (before I even used a pre-filter on the Aqua-Tech). The 29 gallon tank video is obviously incomplete .... but for some reason, I cannot upload any more videos to Photobucket with my free membership. Maybe I should pay.

The videos on the photobucket account (same handle Paul1792) are mine. They were taken months ago (before I even used a pre-filter on the Aqua-Tech). The 29 gallon tank video is obviously incomplete .... but for some reason, I cannot upload any more videos to Photobucket with my free membership. Maybe I should pay.
Very Nice Tank(y)

You may want to re-measure, Mike !!!!!
First, here is a picture of the C3 and a C4 running side by side. I took this when I ran both of them next to each other on my 29 gallon tank before moving the C3 to my 38 gallon tank.

http://s948.photobucket.com/user/Pa...ation/C3ampC4sidebyside1_zps61ececb8.jpg.html

The C4 measures 8 and 5/16" along the back of the tank.
The C3 runs just a tad over 7" along the back of the tank.

The top back of the C4 is 2 and 1/2" above the rim of the tank.
The top back of the C3 is just under 2" above the rim of the thank.

I have an Aqueon brand 38 gallon tank that sits on a stand against a wall in the living room. The rim 3 & 3/4 from the wall. The glass is 3 & 7/8 inches from the wall. I tried to fit the C4 that is now on my 29 gallon on the 38 gallon but it would have made an ever so slight indentation in the wall if I tried to cram it in there so I ordered a second C3 rather than a C4.

In the end, I like having the twin C3's next to each other for "good looks." But really no big deal. Though the cost of the C3 and C4 were about equal due tot $7 extension tube needed on the C3, I just didn't want to tear down the tank to move it 1/4 inch.

The "factory" mechanical debris reducing and polishing pad are one unit. On the C3 it measures just under 5" x 5" or just under 25 square inches. On the C4, it measures just over 5 & 1/2" x 6 & 1/4 inches or just about 35 square inches.

I don't use the factory media. The polishing pad is more like 150 microns and just doesn't go "all the way" for "diamond studded" clarity of the water. Accordingly, I use cut to fit Acurel Debris reducing pad + AquaticLife 100 Micron Non-Woven Filter (polishing) pad for "canister style" results.

Many people say you can just use floss in an aqua clear and get crystal water with that "fish swimming in air" look. That is actually correct .... but there is clearly a step above that. When I had only the C3 & AquaClear 50 with floss running next to each other, the water lost its "edge" in a few days from when I removed the Aqua-Tech 30-60. As a result, I had to run the Aqua-Tech (temporarily on the front of the tank) ...... so the water was flowing about 600 gph of flow in my tanks just to feed my obsession with having "conversation piece" sparkling clear aquarium water. Two C3's in tandem handle it well..... The AC/50 is running on 1/3 flow just for BB & backup.

You're right Paul. I remeasured, I was using my wife's sewing tape measure which has a messed up end so I started on the 1" mark and didn't subtract it from the measurement when I posted.

Paul thx for all of the details...very helpful!! And that is a very nice tank you have!

You're right Paul. I remeasured, I was using my wife's sewing tape measure which has a messed up end so I started on the 1" mark and didn't subtract it from the measurement when I posted.

:lol: that kind of thing happens to me all the time!

I'm not connected to the company who run the forum but I would NEVER go back to being a 'non paying' member. Much more advantages to being a paid member.....

I didn't realize there is an option for paid membership! What would you say the advantages are?

A bigger Avatar, more space for Albums/Pictures, NO ads, A Signature, 10,000(I think) PMs. I think that's most of them. Oh and it helps cover the cost of running such a big forum. There is a post about the advantages, i'll have a look for it and get back to you....

Thx for the link Ian. I am now a supporter. Ability to turn off ads and just supporting the forum is worth it alone. Everything else is a bonus!!

So back to the topic of filtration. Unfortunately at 7-8" the C3 or C4 is too wide for my set-up. I have limited space for equipment sine my tank is a bow front and 2/3 of the cover is glass. So I would have to reposition the intake or outflow of the canister which I don't really want to do. So what do you think of adding and internal filter? Something like a Fluval U3 or U4? I could position this behind my rock wall or even temporarily in the front of the tank just to polish the water. Thoughts?

Thx for the link Ian. I am now a supporter. Ability to turn off ads and just supporting the forum is worth it alone. Everything else is a bonus!!

So back to the topic of filtration. Unfortunately at 7-8" the C3 or C4 is too wide for my set-up. I have limited space for equipment sine my tank is a bow front and 2/3 of the cover is glass. So I would have to reposition the intake or outflow of the canister which I don't really want to do. So what do you think of adding and internal filter? Something like a Fluval U3 or U4? I could position this behind my rock wall or even temporarily in the front of the tank just to polish the water. Thoughts?
I think you are on the right track. I know about zero about canisters. All that matters is that you find a solution to your own issues.

The most important thing is that you realize your problem is caused by "dead spots" as the result of your all natural environment. I say ........ "go with your gut." You have the "low flow to certain areas" problem isolated ........ so how you solve it is up to you to be creative based on your own aquascape. You don't need to ask permission from forum members to do what you think will work.

Best wishes.

I run a 406 and a 306 on 'y 55 gallon (I know it's a lot but I like to keep a well overstocked tank). I also have a 850korla circular pump that helps out a lot. It gets all the small stuff to the intakes

I run a 406 and a 306 on 'y 55 gallon (I know it's a lot but I like to keep a well overstocked tank). I also have a 850korla circular pump that helps out a lot. It gets all the small stuff to the intakes

Now that's what I call filtration!! :lol: I hadn't even thought of a circular pump!! Thx for the idea!

Now that's what I call filtration!! :lol: I hadn't even thought of a circular pump!! Thx for the idea!
I had a U2 Fluval on my 12g and I thought they were such a pain to clean. Every time you need to clean them, you remove the pads and all the gunk falls into the tank, making a mess. So frustrating, plus they take up a LOT of room and imo are unsightly. As Paul said it's your call but I would go with a smaller HOB and use floss only in it or a circulation pump.....

I had a U2 Fluval on my 12g and I thought they were such a pain to clean. Every time you need to clean them, you remove the pads and all the gunk falls into the tank, making a mess. So frustrating, plus they take up a LOT of room and imo are unsightly. As Paul said it's your call but I would go with a smaller HOB and use floss only in it or a circulation pump.....

I've been reading up on internal filters and that seems to be one of the biggest complaints. I wasn't too worried about aesthetics because I could hide it behind my rock wall. But I think I'm going to give a circulation pump a try. Thx for your feedback.

I've been reading up on internal filters and that seems to be one of the biggest complaints. I wasn't too worried about aesthetics because I could hide it behind my rock wall. But I think I'm going to give a circulation pump a try. Thx for your feedback.
Yeah, go with the pump...

Rak ..... how goes it ?????

based on your post #33 here:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/aquascape-advice-290206-4.html

It looks like your tank has cleared up nicely. Did you end up going with an internal filter?

btw: nice job with the java fern. I tried the rubber band trick with some java moss on dritwood so I know what that's like.

You sure have a talent for aqua-scapes !!!!!!!!!!!

Hey Paul,
Redirecting the outflow has definitely helped. I haven't added any additional filtration at this point but I might at some point. I also realized I need to give the outflow tube a really good cleaning. I think there is a lot of junk in the tube and I'm sure cleaning it out will help out as well. Finally, I also realized that a part of the problem is due to my BN Pleco. He loves rasping on the driftwood and that puts a lot of particles in the water! He is lucky he is cute!! :lol:

Thanks for the nice compliments!!

I'm running 2 for a 65 gallon saltwater tank and it's great may be u need some more filtration.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I personally am obsessed with getting my water crystal clear and polished so I though I'd chime in here even though I don't own a canister.

I assume you want water that looks like this:

Crystal Clear Water in Aquarium Tanks - YouTube

or

How to get crystal clear aquarium water - YouTube

After my "pursuit for perfection," using HOB's, I found it could only be achieved (at least close) after making sure ALL water in the tank passes through 100 micron polishing pad (as well as Seachem Purigen for chemical filtration):

Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - Paul1792's Album: Paul1792's 38 gallon - Picture

After downloading the owners manual to your filter, it looks very capable of excellent filtration. I believe that your problem is caused by either or both of the following issues:

1) water is bypassing the 100 micron polishing pads in the filter

and/or

2) the fact that your tank is "heavily planted" is restricting the flow of debris laden water to the intake on your (relatively) large tank (I think this is the problem).

If you are sure it's not #1, you could always try this:

Aquarium Filters & Filtration: Fluval Multi-Stage Series Water Polishing Pads

which gets you down to 60 microns but is labeled "not for continuous use."

or putting on a pre-filter - "filter sock" on your intake

Particulates in the the tank - Page 2

However, If you are certain there is no bypass in your filter, I'd suggest adding an HOB with the intake at the opposite end from the intake on your canister and making sure all water passes through 100 micron polishing pads. Specifically, I'd recommend a Fluval C4. Although a C3 would do it, the C3 intake only goes half way to the bottom of the tank so you have to buy a $7 extension. If you're going to do that, however, you might as well upgrade to C4 and run it at lower volume for a few bucks more. Note .... before giving myself a nice filter laden Christmas present .... I used a cheap walmart aqua-tech stuffed with custom media including 100 micron filter pads ..... and even got crystal clear water with that.

[Note: I just had a bad experience with aqua clear 50 running side by side with C3 ..... the factory media did not cut it. My C4 on my 29 gallon keeps water perfect ... so I got a second C3 to run on my 38 gallon. I use aquatic life 100 micron non-woven polishing pads in my HOB's.]

Nice it's really clean

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom