Out of these LED and T5 lights, what would you pick for a 40-50 Gal setup?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arminkropp

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm stuck on deciding for a couple reasons. I liked LED's because of their low energy draw and the temps they run at. Only thing I wonder about is that I've read that the color spectrum does change after a couple years and they need to be replaced. Anyone else hear about this? Other issue is that they may be too bright buy 2 of the models listed below have dimming control.

I like the T5 HO's because of price and the last model listed even comes with a built in timer. I could also replicate sunrise, daytime, sunset and night better as opposed to the LED's which will just turn on at 100% when on a timer. Other advantage is that if anything breaks, parts are east to come by for me. I know bulbs will need to get changed every year so the yearly price is more, and power consumption will be 2-3 times as much as the LED's

What would you buy for a 40-50 Gal setup if it was you and to have the option for LPS and SPS down the road? Thanks for Any input!

So here are the contenders:

TaoTronics TT-AL03 Aquarium Coral Reef Tank Panel LED 141 Watt Amazon.com: TaoTronics TT-AL03 Aquarium Coral Reef Tank Panel LED Grow Light (141W Output, Blue/White Ratio- 24:24; Two-Year Warranty): Patio, Lawn & Garden

TaoTronics TT-AL09 Dimmable Aquarium Coral Reef LED 120 Watt
Amazon.com: TaoTronics TT-AL09 Dimmable Aquarium Coral Reef LED Grow Light (120W Output, Blue/White Ratio- 28:27; Two-Year Warranty): Pet Supplies

Reefbreeders 120 watt Bridgelux Value LED Fixture
reefbreeders

And Finally a couple T5 HO options:

Aquarium Light 48" 216 Watt T5
Aquarium Light 48" 216 Watt T5 Aqua Lighting Fixture Reef Fish Tank Salt Water | eBay

Aquarium Light 48" 324 Watt T5
Amazon.com: Aquarium Light 48" 324w T5 Hohood LCD Timer Coral Reef 6x54 Fluorescent Actinic: Pet Supplies

What length are the reefbreeders? Might be some dark areas to the side. I would get buildmyled.com reef custom. $279 at 75 degree. I am getting two of those one at 75 and one at 45 I think for my 100 gallon.

Has anybody here had any of these? Are there any negative side effect to the LED's starting at 100% brightness on corals etc. I cant be there to gradually increase brightness on start up in the mornings.

Back
Top Bottom