Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-02-2007, 11:01 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 28
Overflow plumbing

I have two megaflow overflows on my tank. I want to run pvc into a sump and back up to the tank. The two bulkheads from the overflow drains are 1" and the directions say to connect them to a 1 1/4" inside diameter flex pipe. I want to connect the flex to PVC. One of the drains have a tee connection to run into the refuge and into the sump. A ball valve will connect the flow into the fuge.

The bulkheads for the returns are 3/4" and the directions say to connect them to a 3/4" inside diameter flex pipe. I have a mag drive pump which will sit inside the sump. The size of the in and out connections on the pump are 3/4" (inlet female, outlet male). I would also like to run PVC, connect it to flex piping and then connect to bulkhead.

Can someone tell me all of the pieces (including clamps) I would need to accomplish this and also provide advice as to the best way to install the plumbing? Pics would help.

DOLPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 11:13 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: VA
Posts: 3,391
Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
Moved to hardware/equipment forum:

www.melevsreef.com & DIY Plumbing 101 should cover all the basics on the types of fittings and amounts you need which will vary greatly depending on the exact setup you have.

I'd T off the return to go to the fuge versus having it come from the drain but that's just my preference.

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 01:40 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: NJ
Posts: 330
Forget the flex pipe. Buy slip bulkheads and plumb the whole thing with flexible PVC. Use 1" PVC for the drains and 3/4 for the returns. The 1" pipe will fit into the 1" bulkhead and the same with the 3/4'. Go to home depot and get PVC cement and primer and just follow the directions. You can find an adapter at Home Depot for the pump also. Its 3/4" threaded on one side to screw into the outlet of the pump and a 3/4" slip on the top to put the pvc into. I have my whole tank plumbed with flex pvc and its great.
JM is offline   Reply With Quote

flow, overflow, plumbing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help with plumbing for overflow and sump? brigoody General Hardware/Equipment Discussion 1 09-11-2007 06:07 PM
Plumbing help with Megaflow overflow zenn Saltwater Reef Aquaria 14 04-26-2006 03:39 PM
How to reduce overflow / plumbing noise? steve9k General Hardware/Equipment Discussion 4 02-28-2005 08:45 AM
Overflow / Plumbing Question SkinnyPete Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 3 02-21-2005 12:54 AM
Overflow to Fuge plumbing got bait? General Hardware/Equipment Discussion 2 02-11-2004 09:52 AM

» Photo Contest Winners

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:16 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.