Paint suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brian L

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone

I need to re-paint the inside of my aquarium top. What paint would the group suggest?
Thanks Brian

I've frequently see Krylon acrylic spray paints suggested for painting items that go IN the tank. Don't see why it cannot be used for your situation.

inside the tank hood I myself would be concerned about peeling especially if the surface isn't 100% clean, between the moisture inside the tank and any calcium build up on the hood paint flaking off would be my concern and fish eating it

Krylon Fusion is what I would use, bonds well to plastics and is fish safe after it cures.

That's what I've gathered from the same question on different sites. Of course, I'm betting that the manufacturer would never say that it is "safe" (probably some to the contrary of this) due to legal or liability reasons.

I can actually answer that fresh, see below from Krylon

Thank you for contacting Krylon.

Unfortunately, we do not recommend any of our products to be applied below the water line. None of our products are immersion-rated or waterproof. Our products may last for a time under water, but there is no guarantee as to how long the will hold up.

Additionally, we have nothing that is FDA approved, which is important in terms of ingestion. Our products may harm the aquarium life.*

I wish you the best of success with your search for a compatible product. Please let me know if you have additional questions.

Regards,*

Daniel
Krylon Product Support

Back
Top Bottom