painting the back of my tank is it this a good idea?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sarah1331

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I’m considering painting the back glass of my tank a color (haven’t decided what). Is this a good idea? I have one of those mass produced scenery on there now that I think is really ugly and doesn’t match my current color scheme.
If I can paint it what is a good paint to use that won’t hurt the tank or my fish? Especially not eat the glue that’s holding it together, and what type of prep work should be done to accomplish it? Like do I need to lightly sand the glass or seal it to keep it from being scratched off?
Thanks for you time in helping me!

First off wecome to AA. How much room to you have in back of the aquarium?
If you have enough room for a spray can then use Krylon paint or a "baby safe" paint. You can cover the top of your tank with plastic to prevent it getting into the water columne.
I would just wipe the glass with a non ammonia glass cleaner or some alcohol.

personally i would remove the fish put them in a rubbermade take the water out and spin the tank around to paint....i use news paper to cover the areas i dont want painted on.... spray paint is easy but might not be that great of a idea to use inside. i have also used roller paint but that takes longer to dry. with spray paint you can get it done in a couple hours. remember even light coats. should take 5-6 coats to get completely done... at least in my case.

MG is correct. Goldfish are not to hard to catch and then cover the floor and have at it.

Its a 55 gal tank that's not the easiest for me to move to a area to keep my 2 year old and cats out of . So I will need to do something that's fast drying. I have a 6in clearance between my wall and back of the tank. Which I don't think will be far enough away to get a good streak free look for spray painting.
I don't think I will be able to do the rubber maid container either. My fish hungry cat took a Nose dive into one trying to get my 8" plus goldfish. But a very good recommendation anyways. Keep those comments coming. They are great ones!

they come with lids..... keeps kids cats and other things out and the fish safe. only thing thats really fast drying is spray paint. ever 15 mins you can do another coat most likely sooner then that and be done with it in a couple hours. roll on paint can take a couple days to get done.

You can either paint the back: tape plastic sheeting over any exposed areas where chemicals can enter the water system. Use non-ammonia glass cleaner as others have recommended, and apply spray paint (I prefer Rust-Oleum for most applications). You will have at least 2 coats and all spray paints eventually scratch/flake (Rust-Oleum less than Krylon IME).

Your other option is to purchase a 2-part mix such as Sweetwater, their recommended paint thinner, and apply using a spray gun. The coating is long lasting, thicker, and therefore doesn't tend to scratch or flake easily.

Finally, you could purchase a thin acrylic (most hardware stores), spray paint one side black and the other dark blue, and then tape to the back of the tank....you essentially get the same effect and can switch colors if you get bored. If anything flakes you can reapply to the acrylic add-on and not to your tank. Plus it can be painted away from your system.

I’m considering painting the back glass of my tank a color (haven’t decided what). Is this a good idea?...!

Painting your tank is a good maintenance free way to keep a solid background, and a solid background is very good for your fish, it reduces their stress and they live happier and longer. I've heard it's the law in Switzerland. Swiss Government Enacts Strict Pet Laws : Zooillogix

If you're going to paint with your fish in the tank, I'd remove the hood and lights and such, then take a piece of plastic 2 inches larger than the dimensions of the top of your tank. Carefully tape it in place along the "painted" side to avoid covering what you're painting, then seal the other three sides.

I would take a small airpump, and attach enough hose to put the pump out a window or under a door and then put an airstone in the tank, just lift the tape in a front corner and tape it back down. The seal won't be perfect, but with the airpump running nothing should get inside and you'll have the time to do what you need without starving your fish of oxygen.

As for the paint itself, I don't know enough on the subject to make any recommendations, but I like the idea of the "baby" paint.

EDIT:
Finally, you could purchase a thin acrylic (most hardware stores), spray paint one side black and the other dark blue, and then tape to the back of the tank....you essentially get the same effect and can switch colors if you get bored. If anything flakes you can reapply to the acrylic add-on and not to your tank. Plus it can be painted away from your system.

I kinda like this idea, considering that for my current build :)

- Aquariums cannot be transparent on all sides and natural light cycles of day and night must be maintained.

Painting your tank is a good maintenance free way to keep a solid background, and a solid background is very good for your fish, it reduces their stress and they live happier and longer. I've heard it's the law in Switzerland. Swiss Government Enacts Strict Pet Laws : Zooillogix

1st time i ever heard this before..... i really dont think its true at all....

If you can not move the tank away from the wall, spray paint is not going to work. I was able to move a large tank about a foot away from the wall, years ago, and was able to just brush latex enamel on, and a roller might be even easier...less wrist stress. It took three coats, with several hours drying time in between (overnight between the second and third, but it was bedtime anyway...). I would tape off the parts you do not want paint on, like the trim, and put plastic or paper over the back of the stand and the wall. Removing the fish would be best, but the air pump method mentioned by Deep Seven would be good too. Either way, make sure the top of the tank is really sealed, one drop of splattered paint in the water is one drop too much.

If you are undecided about color, I can only suggest you stay away from dark green. It looks like an instant algea problem. I had to scrape it all off, and start over again with black. MUCH better... and it has stayed on now for 6 years.

Another option: Get some of the reusable window tint film from an auto parts store. I got the 5% dark and it looks nice (without the paint hassle).

Thank you all so much I think I will try the acrylic sheet and paint them black and silvery grey. That way I can take it out side. My son has asthama and allergies, it just seems alittle more logical to try and go that route first. That and keep my house from smelling like paint fumes.
Thank You all Again really appreaciate it!!!!!

If color is an issue thane acrylic paint from a hobby store will work.(that is what I used) the window tint idea is perfect. you can get blackout tint online if you just want a black background.

I painted mine in a dark blue and it looks stunning but the acrylic sheet that can be removed is the best Idea as I am stuck with the one color and I wish I had of thought of it before.

Back
Top Bottom