Paludarium filter and equipment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

avk1117

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am new to the Paludarium world and was hoping you all could give me some pointers and guide me in the right direction. I have a 40 gallon aquarium that I would like to turn into a Paludarium. What type of filter would you recommend for the aquarium side? Is there a book on the basics of paludarium? What other types of equipment would you recommend for a basic paludarium? Thank you all!

Welcome to AA!

A canister filter would offer you the most flexibility. Put the intake at one end of the tank and the return at the other to create your flow. You can make spray bars and other fittings out of PVC. Any submersible heater will do.

You can use other filtration, but you'd have to get creative.

Do you know of a specific brand of a canister filter that would work best? Since the water is going to be only about 6-7 inches deep which canister parts would reach down that far? I have only seen canisters filters that the intake and out flow hangs on the tank frame and comes down a few inches from the top of the tank. Are there pieces you can submerse down into the water portion of the terrarium?

Thank you so much for the advise!

Are you sure those were canisters you were looking at? My inlet pipe goes all the way down to the bottom of my tank and can be extended even further with a twist. The outlet pipe however is pretty high up but there are also attachments to lower it. Even then you can probably make a nice waterfall effect with a properly placed fan outlet or spraybar.

Fluvals and Renas seem pretty popular here. You may have to build some attachments out of pipe to make the filter do what you want.

Thank you all for the advice. I am so excited about starting to build my first Paludarium. I will look into those canister filters that you mentioned. Thank you

Back
Top Bottom