Parimeters during installation of a CA reactor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Acronuts

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have now been running a ca reactor for 1 week. It has been a bit difficult making the necessary adjustments to the Korallin c-1502.
Measuremnts as of today are:
Tank dkh 14.7
Tank ph 8.11
Tank Ca 480
Effluent measurements are:
Ca 560
Ph 6.94
Dkh 55.3
Dpm 32
Co2 bpm 14
Here are the measurements in the last week
My Ca levels in the tank run from 440 to 500
Ca levels in the effluent run from 480 to 560
My Ph levels in the tank run from 8.05 to 8.16
Ph in the effluent run from 6.75 to 7.33
My dkh levels in the tank run from 9.8 to 14.7
Dkh in the effluent run from 18.5 to 55.3
Co2 has been ranging from 7 bpm to 14 bpm
Effluent dpm from a low of 25 to 92
Here are my concerns:
1. Do I need to worry about these levels?
2. I am confused about which parimeter to try and change ca/alk or dkh? I am also confused about what will happen when I do change the Co2 bpm or the ca/alk dpm, I need help on this!
3. Should I run the reactor 24/7?
Observation of tank:
Everything looks great! I can swear that my sps's have colored up more. Even polyps are poking out of my millies.
So far eveything looks like its liking what is being done with the ca reactor.
Should I continue to do what I am doing or do I need a radical adjustment?
Juan

My Ca levels in the tank run from 440 to 500
My dkh levels in the tank run from 9.8 to 14.7
To me, that seems like a HUGE swing in the course of 1 day. Far from what I would consider stable parameters. I find it hard to believe your tanks inhabitants are actually consuming that much. Do you see any precipitation on your pumps, heaters, sump walls?

Sorry I can't give you any advise on your setup. I go the KISS route and use DIY 2-part supplements.

In my 125, which is packed full of SPS, I need to replensih aprox 18 ppm of calcium per day...compared to your 60 ppm. I would say your #'s are pretty much way off base.

Here you can see the size of some the the corals in my tank.
fts-lt_7-09.jpg

fts-rt-fr_7-09.jpg

I agree great looking tank!!! How long has it been set up?

In reference to the ca reator most tell me that it takes a while to get it going to where its set. From that point then you can adjust as necessary.

I will need to let the numbers gradually come down. Once this happens I will use the reactor as a way to maintain the levels in the tank.
As for measurements from last night I was working on a project and fell asleep on my desk and therefore couldn't get one done. I will take measurements tonight.

Thanks guys.
How long has it been set up?
I setup the 125 about 15 months ago, but it's an upgrade from a 75, which was an upgrade from a 50 I started about 20 yrs ago.
Once this happens I will use the reactor as a way to maintain the levels in the tank.
Yep, that's the idea. The reactor is used to maintain your levels. Did you get a pH controller yet? It's pretty tuff, if not impossible to keep things inline without a controller.

I still have not purchased the controller. I am looking for a reef keeper standard. This unit will allow me to control most things in the sysytem plus allows for continued growth.

Depending on the flow rate of the canister, it can probably be used as the feed pump, but you want a slow flow thru the reactor.
The flow rate on my canister is 500 gph. How else could it be done without a sump?

Well guys things are looking better!
Last night I tested and here are the parimeters:
Tank dkh is down to 12.6
Tank Ph has gone up to 8.17
Tank Ca is down to 480

Effluent levels are as follows:
Co2 is dailed down to 6 dpm
Effluent dpm is at 55
Effluent dkh is 35
Effluent Ph is 6.97
Effluent Ca is 520

I plan to do a water chnage on Monday with reef crystals. I will use less salt.Why? Well according to the package the more salt I use the more Ca.Mg and Alk will be added to my system.
I only plan on allowing for a very small change in a lower levels Ca,Mg and Alk with the new water mix. I don't want to shock any of the corals by dropping any levels too quickly. This I feel would have an adverse reaction to them.
I have another quick question for you guys:
Those that use ca reactors have you noticed a drop in nitrates?

Well guys things are looking better!
Last night I tested and here are the parimeters:
Tank dkh is down to 12.6
Tank Ph has gone up to 8.17
Tank Ca is down to 480

Effluent levels are as follows:
Co2 is dailed down to 6 dpm
Effluent dpm is at 55
Effluent dkh is 35
Effluent Ph is 6.97
Effluent Ca is 520

I plan to do a water chnage on Monday with reef crystals. I will use less salt.Why? Well according to the package the more salt I use the more Ca.Mg and Alk will be added to my system.
I only plan on allowing for a very small change in a lower levels Ca,Mg and Alk with the new water mix. I don't want to shock any of the corals by dropping any levels too quickly. This I feel would have an adverse reaction to them.
I have another quick question for you guys:
Those that use ca reactors have you noticed a drop in nitrates?
Wont your salinity suffer?

Right now my salinity is 1.023. I will mix and settle for 1.021.
This difference will allow the Ca,Mg in my tank water to remain constant without too much change. I am trying to be as stable and let them have more consistant parimeters.

I think they meant why not use a "regular" salt like Instant Ocean... or something that doesn't have high levels of calcium, etc....

I think by lowering your salinity levels to 1.021, you're going to offset any positive "health" issues you're trying to achieve by using the calcium reactor to start with.

I think they meant why not use a "regular" salt like Instant Ocean... or something that doesn't have high levels of calcium, etc....

I think by lowering your salinity levels to 1.021, you're going to offset any positive "health" issues you're trying to achieve by using the calcium reactor to start with.
Thanks for clarifying that for me, I'm new to SW and still learning.

Back
Top Bottom