PCV Tubbing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tank2379

Aquarium Advice Addict
Quick Question what is the best size for PCV Piping to use for Sump return? Would 1 1/2 Piping be good or is there a certain size that works better?

Will in depend on Sump size to? I was thinking about getting at least a 30 Gallon Sump...

You want to make sure that the return and overflow are rated pretty close to the same.
I run 1200gph return through a 1" and have an eshoppe 1200gph overflow(2 1" drains). Works really well.

Most probably use 1" drain and a 3/4" return. It all depends on what your overflow box or tank is drilled at. The size of the sump is mostly immaterial. What you are trying to accomplish is the return as much water to the tank and you are draining out, hence matching the return pump output (with head loss) to the drain(s) size.

Like others have said.. it really depends on your return pump.

I've got a Mag7 return.
Eshopps 1inch overflow box recently installed to replace a DIY overflow. My return has a 1/2inch outlet so I plumbed it 1/2inch all theway back to the DT. Overflow is 1inch, but I reduced it down to 3/4inch (flexible Hose) as that is what my DIY overflow was running at.

So far so good.. It's MUCH quieter then my old rig and I'm able to pump alot faster up to the DT then I could B4.

Just wonderin' why the outlet size of the pump wouldn't determine that.

The water from the return pump is under pressure, so the line don't need to be as big.

Return line is under gravity only, so it should be bigger to account for the lower pressure. As others had said 1" should be good for 600 gph. Although if you are doing a Durso or a Stockman, 1.5" or 2" is better. The system is quieter with a bigger drain.

<There is no problem using a bigger than needed return drain ... you are controlling your water level at the overflow. A bigger drain simply means there is more air in the line. To reduce noise, you want your drain big enough that the water forms a sheet on the drain surface & goes down in laminar flow, without turbulance. The other method is to use a small enough drain that there is no air at all in the drain - ie the drain is maxed out in flow. This is quiet but risks flood, so you should have a 2nd (some even have a 3rd) drain set slightly higher as an emergency backup. >

Thanks for all then suggestions. I wanted to know because when it comes to Plumping I am seriously Illiterate.... :)...LOL

The water from the return pump is under pressure, so the line don't need to be as big.

Return line is under gravity only, so it should be bigger to account for the lower pressure. As others had said 1" should be good for 600 gph. Although if you are doing a Durso or a Stockman, 1.5" or 2" is better. The system is quieter with a bigger drain.

<There is no problem using a bigger than needed return drain ... you are controlling your water level at the overflow. A bigger drain simply means there is more air in the line. To reduce noise, you want your drain big enough that the water forms a sheet on the drain surface & goes down in laminar flow, without turbulance. The other method is to use a small enough drain that there is no air at all in the drain - ie the drain is maxed out in flow. This is quiet but risks flood, so you should have a 2nd (some even have a 3rd) drain set slightly higher as an emergency backup. >

Well we're definitely coming from 2 different places on this one. Your return line will match the outlet size of your return pump. Your return pump will be based on the size of your overflow(s) plus any head loss based on how you plumb the return line. The size of your overflow tubing is based on 2 independent things. 1) If your using an overflow box then your tube size will be based on what size over flow you buy. 2) If your tank is drilled then your tubing will be based on the hole size(s) although you could buy a smaller bulkhead than the hole. If your going to go durso and use 1" pipe most recommend using 1 1/4 pipe inside the overflow. A reducer (er backwards in this case) will change the pipe coming out of the hole to a 1 1/4# and then build the durso out of the 1 1/4. If you're buying one, no sweat it will already be done. Anyting bigger than a 1" hole and the recommendation is to not change the size. The durso will reduce your noise.

I would not (IMO ever) reduce the size of the pipe to small than the outlet on the return pump to try and increase the pressure. Pumps are made to work they way they are built with the output size the come with. You can reduce the flow (slightly) with a valve to fine tune if you are having problems trying match in/out flow thru the sump.

There is a problem with using a bigger pump (which is what I assume was meant by return drain). You may be controlling the water level at the overflow but the an ovesized return pump will pump the sump chamber dry and possibly overflow the main if the sump baffles aren't designed right or very possibly burn the pump out.

Again IMO

Back
Top Bottom