Penguin 300 questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DinoManDraves

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I have a Marineland Penguin 300 filter, and I was wondering if you could help me out.

The filter is discontinued. I got it for free on craigslist, so I guess I can't complain, but it needs some new parts.

Does anyone know if the bio-wheels for the Penguin 350 would work for this filter, or any bio-wheels that are currently available in stores? Is it possible to make the other bio-wheels fit? If not, I will have to order them online.

I'm going to be using it for a 30 gallon. Could I let it run for a couple of days in my 55 gallon and transfer it over so the filter can be cycled?

Thanks for your help guys.

I got one a while back for my goldfish tank and it did not have a bio wheel. I went to petsmart and got one. They had them all different sizes. Also it would not help running it in another tank as the nitrifying bacteria is not in the water. It`s on the surfaces in your tank like the glass and equipment and substrate. You just need to put it in the tank it`s going to be in and get it started. Once it has the beneficial bacteria on it as long as you keep it wet it should be OK.

Thanks so much for your help. It will really help me out. Do you remember the size of bio-wheel you got? Thanks for your help again, really appreciate it.

I cant remember but they must have had ten different sizes. Just measure where it goes in your filter and look for that size wheel.

Back
Top Bottom