pH test came up grey?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joya

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Today I did a 50% water change on my QT tank as there was an ammonia spike (I had a small blenny die in there yesterday), and after I added the new water I did a pH test using my Hagen Master Test kit.

The water in the tube turned a dark blue-grey color which doesn't match anything on their chart. I am wondering if the pH could be off the chart? I'm a bit worried, as there are other fish in the QT tank right now (all purchased on same day from same LFS). They seem fine now but I don't want to take any chances on another one kicking the bucket.

Just wondering what the best next step is...

UPDATE: I decided to err on the side of caution so I set up a second QT tank tonight with new water, ran an ammonia test on the new stuff and it came out fine. Now I'm drip acclimating the fish to move them into the new tank asap. My poor jawfish flipped onto the floor while I was taking water out of the drip container, poor little guy -- I tried SO hard to be extra careful but those jawfish are insane little creatures. I hope he'll be ok!

Redo the pH test and just make certain you are using the right bottles. If you get the same results, take a sample of water to your LFS and compare. Could be the test chemicals.

Jawfish, clowns, wrasses and anthias are the worst when it comes to keeping them inside the tank. Oh and Koi (though freshwater they are olympian jumpers!!). It's amazing what fish can deal with...even a spill onto the floor so long as they don't hit their heads. A bit of stress coat can help seal in electrolites and seal out infectious causing bacteria (like a band aid) if he got scraped or lost any of his protective slime. Keep nitrates low.

Back
Top Bottom