Phobsan Reactor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robertfah

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok, so I tried to post this in my Cyano Problem thread, but because no one answered my last post, I can't post something else until 12 hors goes by or someone else posts a reply to my post. Come on people, we're all aduls here and I think we can figure out how to read a thread.

But I digress.

So, can anyone tell me about a Phosban Reactor and how it works? Do I hook it up in-line and let it run like a skimmer, just changing the media every month or so?

I use the two little fishies reactor on my sps frag tank. I hooked it up to a rio 180 pump. you will need to turn down the water flow but it works great. I use RO water too but it keeps the Po4 undetectable I have been using the same media for around 2 mo. I will change it when I see a rise in phosphates. My phosphates only measured around .5-.75 ppm so I cant say how well it lowers existing phosphate of more than 1.0 .

almost forgot, I use the two little fishies media too.

I would offer assistance, but I don't use a Phosban Reactor. Just be patient..sometimes people have to wind down in the evening before they get the chance to post.

Mike

you will need to have the PBR on its own pump, very low flow is a must. Depending on how bad the PO4 is will depend on when you need to change out the media. They says it is good for 3 months, thats what I run mine for and it has worked out well.

thats what I run mine for and it has worked out well.

What pump do you have on yours? I can't find a low gph pump. The lowest I found was 138 and it's a RIO. I found some PH's that are 106gph, but nothing lower. I know you're supposed to keep it between 80-90gph depending upon how much media is in the reactor.

Mine I believe is on a mj1200. Mine came with a twist valve that I have opened about 1/2 way.

You want the phosban to gently tumble not crashing about too much.
Directions say that if its too rough it will turn to dust and enter your tank.

My phosphates were pretty high and now there like .02

need to change the phosban stuff every 90 days.

Mine sits in the area to the right of my bio balls.

NewInTown - A phosphate readign of .5 to .75 is way too high. YOu should try to kep your tank at .1ppm if possiable. IF you can get it under .3ppm you are doign a ok job but anyhting higher than that is not good and will cause algae overgrowth.

A pump that pushes a bit over 100 gph would be fine...The reactor comes with a valve so that you can plumb it so that the valve can difuse the strength of the pump if it's too strong. The Phosban Reactors are very effective. I just got my phosphates down in my 120-gallon reef from 1.0 to .1 in about three weeks. I used Rowaphos in the reactor since my research more or less concluded that it's a good medium to use.

Like they others say it has a shut off valve to control flow.. I had a MJ 400 and it was not doing well so I got a larger pump and cut it back with the valve.

MJ400 on mine works great. I keep the flow very low, without much tumbling at all. I change the media about every 3 mo, and use about 1/3 of one of the small jars on my 54g

I just got my Two Little Fishes reactor yesterday and hooked it up. I got a PICO 90gph pump for it and hung it on the side of my sump.

? for those who have one, the media is supposed to stay still, not mix around in the chamber, correct?

In the 8 hours that it ran, it has remarkably cleared up my cloudiness that I reported on this site a couple of days ago.

I also got my Turbo Twist 36w UV sterilizer in, which I'll be installing tonight. I'll post results on that bad larry as soon as I can.

it is supposed to lightly tumble. Not real intense due to the fact that it can be crushed to powder and be pumped into your tank.

Well mine is just sitting in the reactor, not moving at all. Maybe I got a pump too small? It's not tumbling or moving, just sitting on the bottom of the reactor. Of course I do have 150 grams in there. It says to use 50grams per 50g of water, so I think that's right. But if it's meant to be at a low tumble, then I guess I'll have to get a bigger pump.

people have reported that the phosban will become solid if there is not enough flow.

Attachments

• phosban_132.jpg
    phosban_132.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 25
Ok, great picture. Mine's definately not turning like that. But fear not, I've got a Maxi-jet 900 (230gph) that I can stick on there with the ball valve that came with the reactor and adjust the flow that way.

Back
Top Bottom