Phosban Reactor 150

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

torontofc

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just got the Phosban Reactor 150, can somebody give me a rating of this product. I seen some people saying it could release toxin, and some people saying it's really good.

I would love to hear some more info on them releasing toxins. The only things I can think of to explain this would be either residual chemicals from manufacturing the plastics or if the flow is too low you could favor toxic bacteria that create hydrogen sulfide (just like what can happen in sand beds that are not stirred in any way).

I have three running back to back on my 45. The first has carbon, the second has GFO, the last has Purigen. I just added the Purigen one and need to get some more flow through the whole chain. I love them. They are affordable and easy to setup and maintain. I love how you can just add more of them if needed. And the new larger size is a great option for larger tanks.

I don't think it matters what they are in as long as the conditions are right. If the flow rate is correct it shouldn't matter what reactor you use.

I have NP BioPellets running a Phosban 150. I also have a dual chamber reactor from Bulk Reef Supply for GAC and GFO.

All workng great.

Coral are fed by LIGHT, or at least the Zooxanthellae that live within and feed them do. Along with normal tank feeding, coral should get all the nutrients they need without the addition of phytoplankton. Phyto is needed for young clams (below 3") and if dosed for sps coral should be done sparingly (once a week).

As for BioPellets producing phyto, I've never heard that and I have no idea how that could happen. Many folks experience a bacterial bloom when first starting wiht the pellets. I didn't have that experience. My nitrates went form 20+ back down to under 2.

Even if they did produce phytoplankton, which I doubt they do in any significant amount, most corals don't eat phytoplanktom. Clams, leathers, and a few others do, but most eat some size of zooplankton. The size zooplankton they will eat is generally based on their polyp size. SPS will eat very small zooplankton (frozen food examples would be daphnia, oyster eggs, rotifers, etc.). The larger the polyp the larger the zooplankton the coral will eat, all the way up to some LPS eating considerable sized pieces of fish or even whole fish.

ok, maybe the guy at the fish store told me the wrong thing/ or lied. will putting too much biopellets in the reator harm anything, cause i accidentally pour too much in it.
BTW, so zooplankton is an important food source (without it ,corals die), right?

Flow rate will depend on the pump and you really need a way to measure it.

Some tanks will provide enough food for most corals, but it depends on the fish, the tank, the corals, and a little luck.

The bio-pelletes need to be tumbling, not stagnant. Flow is very important. I have either a MH600 or MJ900 running mine. The Phosban 150 comes with a valve that you connect on the outflow side to control the flow. Mine is about 2/3 open.

Many folks do NOT use zooplankton or any supplemental feeding for their sps corals. I personally feed about once a week with 2-3 additons to my normal tank feeding.

Back
Top Bottom