phosban reactor 150 help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jereli

Aquarium Advice Freak
So i am looking into buying a phosban reactor 150 by two little fishes... my question is what pump do you guys recommend using on this reactor .. just looking for a simple setup. I plan to run phosban and maybe carbon together.

And would it be ok to run both carbon and phosban at the same time with that pump? Also if I was to only run one media will it still be ok? I thought i read somewhere that they required different flow rates..

Thanks

well, they say the GFO needs to tumble a bit or it clumps up. i didn't have this issue, but i suppose it's possible.
carbon will work with fast or slow flow, so i'd say you'll be ok. what about the volume though? what size tank is this, and how much media are you expecting to use?

Well as far as how much media to use I am not sure... I have never used a reactor before. I guess that would be my next question, how much media should I be using and how often should it be changed or washed.

I have a 60 gallon tank with 20 gallon sump.

Great. Thanks that was exactly what I was looking for. So if I start running some gfo should I just remove my chaeto from my sump? And maybe add more rock instead

My lfs told me to go with the via aqua 20/20 because it comes with everything.. What do u guys think?

Don't remove the chaeto, that is natural nutrient export. The GFO is just supplemental if the chaeto isn't enough.

I had a chain of three Phosban reactors on my reef. First had Carbon, second GFO, third Purigen.

I had my 2 phosban reactors both running on rio 90's they are hanging on my sump with the rio's just under them so there is not a lot head and low flow. Never had a problem. I had gfo in one and carbon in the other both were from Bulk Reef Supply. I have taken the GFO out and replaced with BioPellets.

Ok so far I am thinking of the phosban reactor by two little fishy.. what u guys think of the via aqua 20 20? Also what other reactors do u guys recommend as a dual setup one for carbon and one for gfo. My lfs told me not to run them together in the same reactor but like mr x said carbon works fine with either fast or slow flow so I don't see a problem running it together with gfo in same reactor

there are two problems with it. GFO needs to be replaced every 4 weeks and Carbon needs to be replaced every 2 weeks. The second thing is the carbon is harder than the gfo and can break it up and it get released into the tank. They really need different flows. The Gfo needs to boil slightley and the carbon doesn't. the best thing to do is 2 seperate reactors that was you can replace the media at seperate times and save money.

Carbon's life span varies according to the amount added and what all it is removing, every tank will be different.

Carbon is harder AND can break up?

on my phosban reactor paperwork it said you could mix carbon and phosphate media but maybe they didnt take into account one gets exhausted quicker then the other

How fast each is removed depends on how much of what they are removing is present. It could go either way, it is a tank to tank situation.

Carbon's life span varies according to the amount added and what all it is removing, every tank will be different.

Carbon is harder AND can break up?

yes in order to get the GFO to tumble you will also tumble the carbon the carbon is harder than the gfo and it will grind against each other and break up and get into the tank.

Well I went with the via aqua 20/20 since it already came with the pump and the tubing. Everything was ready to go right out the box. I am only running gfo. I don't think I really need the carbon for now.

Back
Top Bottom