Phosphate Reactor Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Minkota

Aquarium Advice Activist
Am considering purchasing a phosphate reactor for my 150g tank.
I currently have a wet/dry sump with external pump, a protein skimmer and a UV sterilizer.
I was looking at the 2 Little Fishies 150 and 550, but wasn't sur which to get. Is it better to oversize a reactor?

I would go for the 550 if it were me. The 150 doesnt really hold all that much media and with your tank being 150g you will need a decent amount.

carey said:
I would go for the 550 if it were me. The 150 doesnt really hold all that much media and with your tank being 150g you will need a decent amount.

The 550 was what I was leaning towards but didn't want to oversize if it would hurt things.

Can you recommend a pump size for that reactor?

Also, would the 150 work for a carbon reactor or should I get 2 550's?

I'm using a 150 for carbon now on my 115g and it is just barely enough. You need room for the media and for it to tumble. I use a maxi jet for the 150 and would think a mag 3 or mj1200 would be good. I was using a mag 3 with my BRS biopellet reactor and it worked very well.

I'm using a 150 for carbon now on my 115g and it is just barely enough. You need room for the media and for it to tumble. I use a maxi jet for the 150 and would think a mag 3 or mj1200 would be good. I was using a mag 3 with my BRS biopellet reactor and it worked very well.

Tumbling carbon? Not suppose to tumble carbon unless you were talking about GFO. But yeah I agree with the info Carey gave, 550 would be my pic as well. I would think the maxijet 1200 would be able to handle it but as stated if not mag 3 would be a good choice as well.

Good luck with the tank

Back
Top Bottom