Piecing Used Metal Halide Setup Together

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrbee2828

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was wondering if someone here could answer in very general terms what I need to piece together a used MH setup. I'm not looking to do it right now but I'm keeping my eyes open for good deals.

I have seen XX watt ballasts and XX watt pendants with all kinds of bulbs. What I'm wondering is first off, are the pendants wattage specific or is it just the bulb placed in there? ie: if someone is selling a 250w pendant with so and so bulb, are they really referencing the wattage of the bulb that's currently in there or is it the wattage of the pendant?

As for ballasts, obviously I need the right power for the right bulb. However, are the connections between the ballasts and pendants standard? Are they "plug and play" type setups or do you hard wire them?

Thanks to anyone who can answer or point me in the right direction.

If the pendants are for double ended bulbs, they are usually watt specific. If for mogul based, wattage doesn't matter. There is no standard for the connections between the pendant and ballast. If they don't match up, you can cut the connectors and splice the wires.

I would avoid using 400w MH unless the tank is very deep (over 30"). They put out a ton of heat and obviously use alot of electricity.

Back
Top Bottom