Planning on getting a canister

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RoK

Aquarium Advice Addict
I think I want to get a Filstar XP-3. I was wondering what kind of media do you guys use in your canisters? I was looking at prices for filter media and saw the Filstar ceramic rings are almost $17 a box. Do they work well and are they worth it? Thx in advance. :)

I use theceramic rings and sponges in my Eheim. Water stays nice and clean and I have no problems with water quality. I am sure it would work just fine in you cannister.

I happen to use Filstars competition, the fluval. Their big box of ceramic rings are only $8.00 at BigAlsonline. I took a look at Filstars and thier's is $16.00.

I don't promote mixing media but it seems to me that since it's basically the same product, why not use Fluvals rings instead?

I am sorry I missed the cost part of your question. My rings came with my cannister and I have never had to buy them. I hope they don't cost to much if the need ever arises to replace them. I do however, think they are worth it and would pay to replace them.

bio-media is bio-media.. it doesnt matter who made it or what manufacturer is selling it.. what does matter is surface area.. fluvals bio rings are very porus with one of the highest surface area's and I would recommend them. HTH

I was lucky, when I got my XP2, it came with all 4 sponges, a bag of bio-max, and a free bag of ceramic rings.

Any ceramic rings will work fine. There's nothing magic about them, so use whatever fits your budget.

So most just use sponges and ceramic rings in their canisters, huh?
I know to rinse off the sponges in old tank water but do the rings ever need to be cleaned or replaced?

I use filter floss, sponge, and ceramic rings. I don't rinse the ceramic rings except when they get gunky. And I only do one canister at a time. I have two running on the 150 and I will rinse one basket one week then maybe two weeks later rinse another. That way I don't lose the benefical bacteria.

I try to rinse everything once a month and use the every other two weeks. Sponges first and two weeks later, the rings and those other big logs (I forget what there called).

Back
Top Bottom