Plastic Aquarium for Turtles: Any Plastics Improvements in Past Few Years?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lovegasoline

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My turtle's glass tank is at the end of its life as one of the vertical joints is leaking. Its an uncommon size, 37 gallon tall, 30"(L) x 22" (H) x 12" (W) so not as easy to find new or used.

My understanding is has been that plastic tanks are a bad idea for keeping turtles due to their claws and inevitable network of scratches that wold develop.

Admittedly a very long shot, but I'm just checking in to see if anything has changed regarding plastics development and aquariums which might eliminate the scratching issue.

Glass has the common failure modes with aging silicon, poor quality construction, and/or damage by cracking issues (of which I'm experienced, gah!).

Thanks.

Perspex tanks are still Perspex and nothing has changed.

What about using a large plastic storage container. Get one that is food safe. Get something that is a 50 gallons or something and it would give the turtle a bit more room. You could have it on the floor and look at them from above.

The other option is to rebuild the tank. Cut the glass panel off. Remove any old silicon. Put some new silicon on and stick the glass back in place. Wait a few days and away you go.

Perspex tanks are still Perspex and nothing has changed.

What about using a large plastic storage container. Get one that is food safe. Get something that is a 50 gallons or something and it would give the turtle a bit more room. You could have it on the floor and look at them from above.

The other option is to rebuild the tank. Cut the glass panel off. Remove any old silicon. Put some new silicon on and stick the glass back in place. Wait a few days and away you go.

Thanks for the info.
A plastic storage container will not work as a replacement (except an emergency holding tank ... which I have, a Rubbermaid, but I need a new tank) ... as this has to be presentable in a nice kitchen.

I have a 37 gallon that I got from PetSmart. Same dimensions you’re looking for. It appears they still carry them.

I have a 37 gallon that I got from PetSmart. Same dimensions you’re looking for. It appears they still carry them.

Geoff-PA,
Do you have a link to the item on their website?
I looked at PetSmart's aquarium offerings but didn't see a 37 gallon rectangle.
Thanks!

OK I see, it's art of a package. Not in stock in my area but maybe they can order one. Thanks a bunch!

OK I see, it's art of a package. Not in stock in my area but maybe they can order one. Thanks a bunch!

Not stocked in NYC, cannot do an online order/they will not ship, they do not receive stock from other stores: no way to buy it.

Back
Top Bottom