Playroom tank idea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RozG

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Good afternoon,

I have to say I love my small 10g freshwater fishtank, and in my building there is a 2000 sq ft. children playroom.

As a member of the board for the building I live in, I realized I know how much the kids my small tank that perhaps a great investment would be a nice size fish tank for the kids perhaps a 75g to 100g tank.

Of course as this is a playroom I would need it to have good solid support, and be very sturdy. I guess to start this project I would like some advice on the type of tank and base. While i want to go to the store and ask around, I want to come in a bit educated.

Following that would be freshwater vs saltwater. I believe freshwater is easier to maintain and I think that is important but not positive as I have only had a freshwater tank.

And of course after determining whether it is saltwater and freshwater all that comes the stocking of the fish.

I appreciate any advice, I know the later inquiries is far off.

Thank you again!

:fish2: :fish1:

I think freshwater would be your best bet! It's cheaper to start up and a lot easier to maintain. The fish also tend to be hardier, which I suppose is important; you don't really want sensitive or delicate fish in an area designed for play.

Stand wise I'd probably look for something that isn't like laminated chipboard or such like-- they tend to swell easily when water's splashed on them, which I suppose is always a hazard-- kids can be clumsy! If you can, keep your eyes open for something that can easily be wiped down.

I'd probably also take into consideration things like cupboards. I know from experience that l children slamming cupboard doors on a tank stand can absolutely terrify and shock your fish (looking at you, little cousins). However, for a tank that big, you'd probably want to use a canister and you'd need to find a way to keep curious hands away from it! Just food for thought!

I'd say definitely have a good look around for stands-- ask plenty of questions. Knowledgable staff will be able to point you in the right direction :)

Sounds like a great idea though! Kids love fish! :D

You know who else might be a good resource?
Your local doctor's or dentist's offices. I've been to a ton that have fish in the child area and the whole set up is seamless. I usually see freshwater, though my dentist (loved fish to pieces) kept saltwater.

Also just realized my dentist could have been the dentist from Nemo. He visits Australia every four years too! @_@

So far I am thinking more of freshwater tank. The question now is if I can buy a tank or need to get a custom tank.

There's absolutely no need to buy anything custom.

A 55g aquarium measures 4ft by 1ft and is a good tank size for an eye grabbing aquarium for the kids to watch. You can usually find one with a stand on craigslist for less than $150 but they are also fairly affordable in the stores and will probably look a little nicer if its new.

A 75g is one of my favorite tank sizes and measures 4ft by 1.5ft. They are only a little more expensive than a 55g.

If money isn't a huge issue and you have a fair bit of wall space then a 125g tank would be another good choice. Those are 6ft x 1.5ft

After that you just have to decide on what type of fish you want in it. Whether its a peaceful community aquarium or something along the lines of a cichlid tank which is more aggressive and a little harder to maintain but more colorful.

locking cabinet doors and canopy. Otherwise you will be amazed at what you find in the tank. It also keeps too many people from trying to "help". Try your local SPCA type rescue for equipment. Ours takes in everything and sells it for very cheap or gives it away

I have 3 young children and have kept tanks for many many years. So I have put much thought into this topic as they have been interested in my tanks since before they could walk.

To answer your questions 1 FW is easier than SW. 2 tank stands sold at LFS are completely sturdy enough the tank Isn't going to tip over. the only thing you are going to need is locks for the cabinet. The child proof braces that go through the handles is sufficient. But what ever you do don't keep the chemicals in the cabinet keep it in a place outside of the play room.

Before I tell you my decision of what I got for my Kids I will tell you why.

My criteria for selecting fish

1. I wanted fish that where hardy and lived more than 5 years. Because I don't want to have the "why did my pet die" conversation with a 3 year old. Unfortunately their great grandparents died so we had the death conversation already.

2. I wanted something colorful, brown fish aren't that exciting to kids.

3. I wanted active fish, again a predator that lays at the bottom isn't much fun.

4. I wanted something easy to care for because kids don't leave allot of extra time and I already have enough beings to care for.

5. I don't want aggressive fish. Even though I love central american cichlids I don't want my kids to be screaming "help daddy joey's fish is beating up my fish" Kids do tend to pic out which fish is whose and name them.

My decisions
So my decision was Gold fish. I feel Goldfish meet all of the above requirements. We currently have 2 and they have been alive for 3 years and my kids love them. I know goldfish are common but they are common for a reason, beautiful colors and hardy.

So my suggestion to you would be get a 55 or 75 what ever your preference and get 4 or 5 gold fish.

PS don't get fooled by these shows like Tanked or Fish Tank Kings where they set up these beautiful reefs in kids centers and playrooms. They are great ideas but not very feasible. Kids banging on glass will kill many types of fish. Besides most of those tanks are maintained by professionals or they die.

Oh and I do know 2 year olds can find there way into the top of a 20-40b size tanks on normal stands very easily. They have a much harder time with the height of a 55-75. I would say impossible for them to get into but nothing is impossible with kids.

I have 3 young children and have kept tanks for many many years. So I have put much thought into this topic as they have been interested in my tanks since before they could walk.

To answer your questions 1 FW is easier than SW. 2 tank stands sold at LFS are completely sturdy enough the tank Isn't going to tip over. the only thing you are going to need is locks for the cabinet. The child proof braces that go through the handles is sufficient. But what ever you do don't keep the chemicals in the cabinet keep it in a place outside of the play room.

Before I tell you my decision of what I got for my Kids I will tell you why.

My criteria for selecting fish

1. I wanted fish that where hardy and lived more than 5 years. Because I don't want to have the "why did my pet die" conversation with a 3 year old. Unfortunately their great grandparents died so we had the death conversation already.

2. I wanted something colorful, brown fish aren't that exciting to kids.

3. I wanted active fish, again a predator that lays at the bottom isn't much fun.

4. I wanted something easy to care for because kids don't leave allot of extra time and I already have enough beings to care for.

5. I don't want aggressive fish. Even though I love central american cichlids I don't want my kids to be screaming "help daddy joey's fish is beating up my fish" Kids do tend to pic out which fish is whose and name them.

My decisions
So my decision was Gold fish. I feel Goldfish meet all of the above requirements. We currently have 2 and they have been alive for 3 years and my kids love them. I know goldfish are common but they are common for a reason, beautiful colors and hardy.

So my suggestion to you would be get a 55 or 75 what ever your preference and get 4 or 5 gold fish.

PS don't get fooled by these shows like Tanked or Fish Tank Kings where they set up these beautiful reefs in kids centers and playrooms. They are great ideas but not very feasible. Kids banging on glass will kill many types of fish. Besides most of those tanks are maintained by professionals or they die.

I think this is some of the best (tested) advice I have ever seen on any forum. I totally support the is 110%, i don't have kids mind you;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Fancy Goldfish can live in tanks their whole lives. 15 yrs or more with good care.

This girl has great goldfish vids
http://youtu.be/fppWkFWLCsw

You might consider a barrier so the kids can see the tank easily without pounding on it. Or put a Plexi barrier an inch from the glass ?? A Plexi locking box around the tank ?

http://youtu.be/sjw5P9QWMEo

Child proofing
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1041737

http://www.fishkeepingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=6006

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=192273#/forumsite/20495/topics/192273?page=2

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom