Please help me with new 310 gal cichlid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deputy6349

Aquarium Advice Newbie
:confused: Hello,
from jax, fl.

I just ordered a 310 gal. 96"x25.5"x30.5" tank from glasscages.com and I am in desperate need for advice as I have been out of the fish game for awhile.

Please advize on what will be the best type of filtration as to keep my moderately stocked cichlid tank clean, clear and healthy.

What would you use to accomplish this?

Should the tank be drilled?

Again it is my goal to have the nicest tank with as little maintanance that is necessary to maintain the above mentioned.

Again I have been searching for help and I am running out of time for my freshwater tank is on its way.....Help Me & Thanks for your time!!!!!!!!

the tank can be drilled if there isnt a tempered bottom pane in there, 9 out of 10 times there is.

I know its overkill but that size tank you might want to just research wet/dry filters for it. I got a 45g tall tank for discus and got a 175g capable sump system on it with a CPR overflow ( i think its the 201)
2ly4kch.jpg

its got eco complete in it now, and water. only change.
here is the sump
s49r85.jpg

This is my old mans tank, i got him the glass coffin, canopy, tank and stand.
in two weeks he has put over 1200 bucks into the tank and he hasnt bought a single fish yet. He also like you has been out of the game for a while, 20 years exactly this year and he was eyeballing 300g but that wasnt in my budget unfortunetly but we are working with what we got.

Id run a sump w/ overflow if you cant drill it sumps require less maintence then a hob or canister and also eliminate the risk of toxin backflush when there is a power outage.

PM me and I can get your email and send you things that helped him make his decisions. he kept fish from 1967 to 1990 bred all sorts of fish, kept monster cichlids and just had to quit when he got orders to deploy in 1990 for the sandbox. It took me getting him the glass box to get back into it but he did and well you can see above what is going on. Any of us here would be happy to help you out.

in the end its your tank and you are the one who has to look at it daily and you also get what you pay for in this hobby, almost any deal is never too good to be true, you find a deal grab it.

Do you have a budget for this build and is it reasonable?

A hint on decor, go to a couple of your local landscaping supply companies, even if they don't sell to the public (especially, actually) and see if they have leftover rock from a job they will give away. I got a bunch of this from a guy that got it that way and this tank looks awesome because of it:

img_1075620_0_fb0e33d75ba9bf95e55bfc74edb3796d.jpg

Back
Top Bottom